The Black Lives Matter movement is as powerful as ever, but the NFL’s so-called apology to Colin Kaepernick is far from it, argues Cerys Holliday

Written by Cerys Holliday

Content Warning: This article contains details readers may find upsetting.

It has taken four years for the National Football League (NFL) to apologise for how they have dealt with action against racism, but for Colin Kaepernick, their statement of apology will not put his once-thriving career back on track.

‘We, the National Football League, were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier,’ stated NFL Commissioner, Rodger Goodell, in a video tweeted by the NFL. ‘I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country.’

This issued apology does, however, fail to address the events that took place four years earlier and the chain reaction of events that soon followed after. Not only were they not addressed, but the detrimental aftermath was not accounted for.

In 2016, playing as the quarterback for San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick first publicly protested against American police brutality and racial prejudices. At the start of a preseason game, he peacefully knelt during the U.S. national anthem, and while the act proved brave and monumental, a year later, Kaepernick – having left the 49ers – was out of a club and has been ever since.

‘We want people to be respectful to the national anthem,’ Goodell voiced back in 2018 after a new ruling meant fines would be issued to anyone who knelt during the U.S. national anthem during NFL fixtures.

Now in 2020, the Black Lives Matter movement is stronger than ever. On 25th May, George Floyd, an unarmed African-American man, was brutally murdered in the arms of the police in Minneapolis. One officer, for eight minutes and 46 seconds, forced his knee into Floyd’s neck – slowly killing him, while three other officers stood and watched.

The eerie parallels between Kaepernick’s peaceful protest and the unlawful killing of George Floyd further reiterated the injustices regarding race and police brutality in America. The NFL, though, failed to address that.

‘The protestors’ reactions to these incidents reflect the pain, anger, and frustration that so many of us feel,’ said Goodell in a tweeted statement five days after Floyd’s death. Despite an attempt to use their voice, the NFL’s statements caused further controversy. They immediately faced backlash from the media with many responding with disdain for what had been said; ‘This is a lie… You’ve done nothing but the exact opposite of what you describe here.’

The NFL has not apologised to Kaepernick – nor have they recently addressed the events from 2016 that cost him his entire career. Although he went on to be the face of Nike campaigns in 2018, society’s racism stemmed hate-filled backlash with some boycotting Nike and even burning their products, stating to #justburnit.

For Kaepernick, a return to American Football perhaps seems more likely than ever. Goodell now encourages teams to sign the 32-year-old quarterback, but that does not make up for the events of the past, or confirm injustices within the sport will change.

It took the NFL four years and an increase in the deaths of innocent black lives to step up and use their voice

‘When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction,’ Kaepernick tweeted earlier this May, showing his continuing support for the fight for justice. ‘Rest in Power George Floyd.’

We can ask ourselves whether the NFL have done enough. Are they helping the fight against racism? The overarching reality seems to be that they are not. Recognising the route of the problem is the first step to tackling inequalities. It took the NFL four years and an increase in the deaths of innocent black lives to step up and use their voice. How many more deaths need to happen before they not only apologise, but kneel with Kaepernick?

Check out more from Redbrick Sport:

Sports Awards Previews: Team of the Year

Sports Awards Previews: Club of the Year

Sports Awards Previews: Volunteer of the Year