Gaming Editor Benjamin Oakden reports on Academics at the University of Oxford launching a lawsuit over ‘Uberisation’ of Contracts

Written by Benjamin Oakden
Redbrick Gaming Editor, Third-year history student, Chairman of the Ryan Yates Open Water Swimming Society
Images by Sidharth Bhatia

Two lecturers employed by the University of Oxford have launched a lawsuit against the institution, arguing that the university doesn’t provide them with an acceptable level of job security. The two lecturers were employed on fixed-term contracts, which meant that they were legally not classified as official employees. Despite teaching at Oxford for over 15 years, the two were laid off in 2022.

The two lecturers were employed on fixed-term contracts, which meant that they were legally not classified as official employees

The academics, Alice Jolly and Rebecca Adams, argue that their teaching situation, which involved working on a zero-hour contract with no pay for preparation work and no holiday pay, was in violation of their employment rights. The pair used the term ‘uberisation’ to refer to their situation, in reference to a landmark 2021 ruling that required Uber drivers to be considered employees and gain full employment rights.

The issue of academic employment rights is linked to wider criticism of the so-called ‘gig-economy’. Critics of the gig economy argue that too much of the work-force is made up of temporary employees who receive no minimum hours of work, making it difficult for them to ensure a regular income. Zero-hour contracts remain legal under British law, with proponents arguing that they give workers a level of flexibility which would be impossible with regular contracts. However, people employed under zero-hour contracts still receive the protection of certain workers rights, such as holiday pay, meaning that Jolly and Adams may well have a case against the University of Oxford.

Although legal, the UCU argue that such contracts do not reflect the highly skilled, work-intensive nature of the field

Although zero-hour contracts are often associated with ‘low-skilled work’, their employment in higher education is commonplace. One of the key reasons for the current University and College Union (UCU) strikes, which will take place over 17 days throughout February and March, is the insecure contracts that academics are frequently being employed under. Although legal, the UCU argue that such contracts do not reflect the highly skilled, work-intensive nature of the field.

Although they have not commented on this specific case, the University of Oxford maintain that ‘The University’s main terms and conditions of employment apply equally to all staff’. They also said they would not comment on the individual case whilst it is pending.

Read more News articles here:

Dad’s Cosy Coat Project Proves to be a Massive Success

Young Conservative Faces Backlash After Calling Birmingham a ‘Dump’

UK Universities to be Fined Over Student Dropout and Graduate Employment Rates