Life&Style writer Georgia Wiley talks us through her favourite podcasts to liven up dull journeys

Written by georgiawiley
Images by Macb3t

No one enjoys commuting, whether that is by train, bus or bike, it can become a chore. However, since discovering the world of podcasts my daily walk to campus has become something far more interesting. That being said, here are my favourite podcasts for an enjoyable commute:

1. Happy Place

Happy Place is a really eye-opening and overall ‘feel good’ podcast hosted by Fearne Cotton. Each episode involves an interview with a well-known guest; these range from singers such as James Bay and Gary Barlow to influencer Chessie King and the nations favourite, Mary Berry. Need I say more?

A lot of the time her guests contribute anecdotes and their own personal experiences on topics such as the role of social media, mental health and feminism, which makes for an interesting listen. Ultimately the podcast aims to reveal what happiness means and is something uniquely answered by each speaker.

Think desert island discs, but without the music.

I recommend episodes: ‘Katie Piper’ and ‘Chessie King’.

2. The Receipts Podcast

I feel it is only acceptable that I give rights to the queen of podcasts, The Receipts Podcast. The Receipts Podcast was in fact the first podcast I started regularly listening to. It is fun, honest and completely unfiltered. It’s just enjoyable. The podcast is co-hosted by Tolly Shoneye, Milena Sanchez and Audrey Indome, who in themselves are a relatable, bubbly trio. I find myself laughing out loud when listening to their podcast. The podcast covers a breadth of topics that focus on relationships and everyday life, with some episodes titled ‘Your Receipts’ which focus on answering dilemmas sent in by listeners.

I recommend episode: ‘This Thing Called Life’.

3. How To Fail with Elizabeth Day

How to Fail is a podcast hosted by award-winning author and journalist Elizabeth Day. The podcast focuses on the message of learning from our failures and the things in life that haven’t necessarily gone right, focussing on how this in fact can make us better. Each week Elizabeth invites guest speakers who then contribute their own failures they have first-hand experiences, and how this taught them more about how to succeed.

I recommend episode: ‘How to Fail: Camilla Thurlow’.

And to save the best till last, here’s my new-found favourite listen:

4. Adulting

Adulting is the podcast hosted by writer/speaker Oenone Forbat. With over five series and 44 episodes to date, Adulting is the podcast that tries to figure out ‘all the things we never got taught in school.’ Oenone describes Adulting as ‘unguarded, educational and non-judgemental.’ With contributions from various guest speakers, each episode openly discusses controversial and current issues whilst really trying to get to the core of what it means to be an adult. I feel this is a particularly good podcasts for those of us at university who are on the brink of fully-fledged adult life and need that little help discovering, to quote Oenone herself, ‘what the hell is going on.’ Her guest speakers change each week, with appearances from the likes of Freya Ridings, Alice Liveing and Sofia Hagen. I find myself looking forward to each episode and wanting to tell others what I’ve learned from the podcast.

I recommend: #43 ‘Why University Isn’t Always The Answer’ and #36 ‘How To Get Your S*** Together’.