The Paper Birds flock to Birmingham for their 13th piece of verbatim theatre

Culture Editor and final year French and Italian student

The Paper Birds is a multi-award-winning devising theatre company, with a social and political agenda. They are recognised as UK leaders in verbatim theatre. They consider themselves artists, investigators, entrepreneurs, educators and pride themselves on taking complex, multi-faceted subjects and making them accessible to all. They have an artistic programme and a creative learning programme and nurture both equally. Their vision is to provoke change, one encounter at a time. Our mission is to be quiet rebels, amplifying the voices of everyday people and inspire change through the theatre they create.

Their vision is to provoke change, one encounter at a time

Over the last 15 years, The Paper Birds has established its reputation as one of the UK’s leading devising theatre specialists, working with young people across the UK and internationally. Their Creative Learning programme is a core part of their identity and purpose as an organisation.

Starting in 2014 through a collaboration with champion beatboxer Grace Savage, the company began to nurture emerging artists within their work. ‘Nest’ enables The Paper Birds to seek, find and showcase new, diverse and compelling voices. ‘Nest’ is about joining forces with exceptional emerging artists, exploring different art forms, nurturing and promoting new talent and developing new audiences. They are passionate about supporting, training and mentoring the next generation of artists, with an emphasis on young female performers and cultural leaders.

They are passionate about supporting, training and mentoring the next generation of artists

The Paper Birds are story collectors. They spend time in communities, listening to personal experiences. The words of the people they meet form the backbone of their shows, giving voice to the voiceless, painting powerful and very human alternative social commentaries. Their desire to listen, to understand and then ‘give voice’ means not only making space for the under-represented and the misunderstood, but also that our shows explore voices from all walks of life. They aim to do this in breath-taking theatrical fashion.

The company has devised and produced 12 shows to date with Ask Me Anything. The show is sure to be an exciting mix of musical feelings and passionate accounts, do not miss this show and with two performances both on the 4th and 3rd March at the Birmingham Hippodrome, you really have no excuse.

There are still tickets for this one of a kind show available here