TV Writer Jasmine Narwal reviews Harlan Coben’s new series Fool Me Once, praising its simultaneous ease of watching with just enough mystery and depth to keep the audience guessing

Written by jasmine

Harlan Coben has once again delivered a gripping mystery thriller, Fool Me Once, featuring an all star cast, including Michelle Keegan, Richard Armitage and Joanna Lumley. This series promises to keep you on the edge of your seat with twists and turns where you least expect them, making it the perfect watch for those who want a show that will only leave you with more questions than answers.

Filled with secrets, lies and an endless amount of drama

Filled with secrets, lies and an endless amount of drama, the series focuses on Keegan’s character, Maya, following the traumatic death of her husband, Joe (Richard Armitage). Still reeling from witnessing his brutal murder, Maya places a secret camera in her daughter’s playroom to monitor her new nanny. But when she goes back to review the footage, she is stunned to discover something that she never expected to see… her husband, alive and well. 

Understandably confused by this, Maya launches her own investigation, in addition to the police investigation, to find her husband’s killer, assuming that someone is playing a horrifically sick joke on her. Taking you on a thrilling and wild journey, the progression of the show also brings with it new mysteries and suspects.

there is one thing that becomes certain: you cannot trust anyone

But there is one thing that becomes certain: you cannot trust anyone. As with any Coben show, the progression of the series also marks an unravelling of the character’s pasts, unveiling the secrets that they hold closest to their chest. Their murky pasts are revealed to the viewer through a number of flashbacks dotted throughout the series, each one bringing to light a more shocking fact than the last. Something that becomes abundantly clear when watching this show is that the wealthy only have mansions that big so they have enough room to hide all of their secrets there too. 

If you have watched any of Coben’s previous works such as The Stranger, Safe or Stay Close, this is the perfect show for you. With only eight episodes, you could easily binge watch the entire series in a day or savour it over time. I personally really enjoyed this show – it was entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat but it wasn’t extremely complicated that made it hard to follow along. This is the perfect show to put on in the background to keep you entertained whilst you do other chores around the house.

there is something so entertaining and captivating about watching a show that embraces its ludicrous and excessive nature

Although the show has not been as highly rated by critics, there is something so entertaining and captivating about watching a show that embraces its ludicrous and excessive nature, with its over-abundance of suspects and theories. This may be one of the reasons for its overwhelming success and popularity, providing the audience with an easy watch that is quick to get into and provides entertainment right from the beginning. Moments into the show you become captivated by the classic ‘whodunnit’ murder mystery and the only way to find out is to carry on watching.

However, a word of caution: watching Fool Me Once may leave you longing to own one of Maya’s many stylish coats – it’s a canon event.  

Read more TV articles here:

Review: Reacher Season Two

World TV Shows: Pakistani Dramas

Character Spotlight: Kitty Song Covey (XO, Kitty)