Food&Drink writer Dinda Harmanto reviews her experience at Otto Pizza, a cosy independent restaurant with a creative seasonal menu

Written by Dinda Harmanto
Images by Dinda Harmanto

A hidden gem in the Jewellery Quarter – Otto Pizza boasts a creative seasonal menu in a cosy, humble building. Booking is recommended, especially during the weekend – and for good reason.

On entering, the dim lighting creates an ambient setting. Initially, their green roof seemed somewhat random, but with the wooden tables and classic metal bistro dining chairs, the interior reflects the unique glamour that only independent restaurants have. We were guided to our table which has the pizzeria’s logo charmingly printed on the corner. 

@DindaHarmanto

We sat next to a classic blackboard with the daily specials which have some unique offerings. The restaurant has an open kitchen, meaning you can watch the chefs work their magic in the grand pizza oven before your food is picked up and delivered to you, all the while you pretend not to be eagerly waiting for your food to arrive.

The restaurant has an open kitchen, meaning you can watch the chefs work their magic

I chose pizza number seven: a white, sourdough-based pizza topped with mozzarella, taleggio (think brie… but Italian and slightly funkier), leeks, Wenlock Edge farm sausage and a black pudding crumb. The strong flavours of the taleggio, leek and sausage were emphasised by the white pizza base. Sometimes I do miss the tomato base when I choose a white based pizza, but (as with all the pizza creations at Otto) the well thought out combinations meant no elements felt as if they were missing. 

@DindaHarmanto

Alongside the pizza, I ordered a Tuxford and Tebbutt stilton dip, usually a must for pizza crusts, however the sourdough here is flavourful enough to eat without the help of a dip. The blue cheese flavour was strong, and the dip was creamy and smooth.

The desserts are just as wonderful as the pizzas. I ordered the double chocolate brownie topped with cherry mascarpone – a re-invention of the classic combination of a brownie and ice cream, but perhaps more sophisticated. A generous serving of gooey deep chocolate brownie was served and studded with white chocolate chips which added a slight textural contrast to the fudge brownie. The mascarpone was admittedly a heavy addition to the already decadent brownie, but the cherry flavour and coolness of the mascarpone ensured that the dessert was not overly sickly. I tried a bite of my friend’s equally generous portion of tiramisu, which was flavoured with a rich, locally produced coffee liqueur. 

@DindaHarmanto

Overall, Otto Pizza is a charming independent venue with inventive and well thought out flavour combinations for both the pizzas and desserts. I recommend trying out the ever changing weekly specials, and not to get overly attached to the menu, which changes according to seasonal availability of ingredients. 

Take a look at more reviews of Birmingham restaurants here:

Review: The Coconut Tree

Review: Cafe Soya 

Review: Siamais