Although the royals are already dominating our screens, Anoushka Nair suggests that the third season is worth the watch even with the new cast

Written by Anoushka Nair

Peter Morgan is back with everyone’s favourite Queen. Season three of The Crown is out now on Netflix, ready to be consumed by royalists and antimonarchists alike. Set between 1964 and 1977, the newest season details the events of Queen Elizabeth II as she navigates the early stages of middle age and the personal, social and political events that follow this period in her life. Although reminiscent of the last two seasons, season three arrives with a whole new cast and, with it, an expectation for the new actors, portraying everyone’s favourite characters, to live up to the previous ones.

The audience bids farewell to the likes of Claire Foy and Matt Smith, and are set to welcome Oscar winning, Olivia Colman who dons the titular crown, as well as Tobias Menzies in the role of Prince Phillip. Other new names include, Helena Bonham Carter and Ben Daniels as Princess Maragaret and Lord Snowdon as well as Josh O’Connor and Erin Doherty as, the now grown up, Prince Charles and Princess Anne. The entire cast is composed of new but older faces. Returning audiences are treated with the return of John Lithgow as Winston Churchill in the first episode, whose death sets the tone for the entire series, symbolising the show’s transition into a new, post-Churchill era.  

Audiences are not diving into a whole new show but rather being welcomed back with a fresh perspective

Although the new cast administers an air of unfamiliarity, the overall dramatic tone, impeccable costume and setting, and consistent writing and direction means that audiences are not diving into a whole new show but rather being welcomed back with a fresh perspective. The new cast lives up to the roles portrayed by the old, as their many accolades would allow, with a special shout out to Bonham Carter’s layered portrayal of Princess Margaret, as well as O’Connor and Doherty’s introductory roles as the Queen’s children, who set a precedent to look forward to season four. Colman’s portrayal of the Queen has perhaps instilled some anxiety in anticipation of the third season. Thankfully, she has lived up to the example set by Claire Foy, and delivered a performance that, although very different, portrays the Queen’s distinct mannerisms and establishes an older and more seasoned monarch.     

The show is getting closer and closer to our contemporary reality

As well as a fresh cast, the newest season brings to light significant events of the sixties and seventies: the uncovering of KGB spies in Buckingham palace; Princess Margaret’s tumultuous marriage; the Aberfan tragedy; the 1969 moon landing; the early days of Prince Charles and Camilla’s (Emerald Fennell) problematic relationship; and new political leadership in the election or Harold Wilson (Jason Watkins) and Edward Heath (Michael Maloney). Audiences are more likely to be familiar with the events of this newest season and may likely even have lived through them, meaning that the show is getting closer and closer to our contemporary reality. This arguably evolves the show from a simple historical drama to something more ‘meta’, changing our opinions of individuals who are still living and involved with the events of The Crown

Overall, this newest season lives up to the previous ones and doesn’t disappoint in delivering dramatic narratives, complex relationships and heartbreaking storylines that instill watchers with a new respect and perspective on the famed royal family. I would argue that changing to an ageing cast is necessary as having Claire Foy layered with ‘middle-aged’ makeup would ruin the sophistication of the show. The newest season sets up a new and compelling narrative that I look forward to exploring in the following season, in particular, the introduction of Princess Diana and Margaret Thatcher. Finally, I would recommend watching season three with current events in mind. Perhaps there could be something royal-related in the news that would make interesting content for seasons to come.

Rating = 4/5