Adam Sandler takes another punt at serious acting in his latest Netflix film, Uncut Gems

Third year maths student. Interested on games whether tabletop or video games. Also really likes poker and swimming which is one of the few sports I like. Also now a gaming editor for redbrick.
Images by A24 Films

One of the biggest crimes in the recent years of Redbrick Film was its lack of review for the film Joshua and Benjamin Safdie previously directed, Good Time, because that film is actually pretty fantastic. Their most recent film, Uncut Gems, is only getting a limited release in the UK with major cinema chains and,  very much like their previous work, it is well worth seeing.

A question that one would ask in any film that Adam Sandler stars in is: was Adam Sandler any good? The answer to this is yes. In fact, Adam Sandler, who plays irresponsible jewellery shop owner Howard Ratner, is excellent in Uncut Gems. He really sells how busy he is, as well as how much of a fine line he is walking in terms of taking risks; the amount he is willing to put on the line means he could lose everything, and may very well hurt others if he thinks he can profit from taking these risks. While the stakes initially seem high, this film really does take a while to reveal just how much Howard has put on the line and how much trouble he could get into.

Adam Sandler is excellent in Uncut Gems

The ‘bad guys’ are incredibly threatening thanks to great acting and direction. The way some actions were directed made many events seem very shocking, and under a less skilled directorial team, they would fall flat. The audience can also see how stubborn Howard is, even when it is obvious how bad of a situation he is in. Despite being a slower burn, and a longer run-time than the Safdie Brothers’ previous work, the film is rarely, if ever, boring. While there are some comedic moments in the film, it definitely isn’t a comedy, and is supported by a strong cast.

While I wouldn’t say Uncut Gems has the best cinematography, it is solid, and there are plenty of shots that make the film more intense, with some scenes that I am sure will stick in my mind for a long time. These include shots such as close-ups, whether this is looking at important items that are on display, or during a conversation, a shot from above to show the pawn shop or a shot to the mirrors above. The colour palette is good, with accents of light-blue from the jewellery to the set of the pawn shop itself, and has lots of personality.

[The cinematography] is solid, and there are plenty of shots that make the film more intense

The soundtrack to Uncut Gems is also effective. Composed by Oneohtrix Point Never, it is a great synthpop, and is used to heighten emotions of anxiety, sympathy, dream, triumph, or a mixture of these. The use of songs at the club scene such as ‘Swimming Pools (Drank)’ by Kendrick Lamar and ‘This Morning’ by The Weeknd (who actually stars in the film) were appropriate.

I would  absolutely recommend Uncut Gems. I prefer Good Time overall, but this film sets itself apart from that, and the Safdie Brothers come fairly close to clearing the incredibly high bar they had set with their previous work with their directing. A far tougher question to answer however is: can I recommend going to the cinema to see this film considering it will be coming to Netflix in just under two weeks? If you don’t have Netflix then the answer is yes, otherwise it depends. That said, one argument in favour of seeing it in cinemas is that you can show support to the Safdie Brothers, and if they can continue to make good films then there are certainly worse ways to spend your money.

Whether you see this film on Netflix, or take the trip to the cinema to support the Safdie Brothers, Uncut Gems is highly recommended and boasts a great cast and soundtrack, and some good cinematography.

8/10

Uncut Gems is streaming now on Netflix.

Images courtesy of A24 films.