A recent statement made by Guild Welfare Officer, Millie Gibbins, calls for more support for victims of sexual assault

Millie Gibbins, the Student Welfare Officer for the University of Birmingham, released a statement promising to push for a change in UoB’s legislation on sexual assault. This follows the publication of an article written by The Tab, which details the alleged rape of a former student by another student whilst both were studying at the university. 

The victim, who decided to remain anonymous, told The Tab that, after she was assaulted following a night out in Selly Oak, her life changed as she became ‘anxious and distracted’ and her grades ‘suffered significantly.’ Two years after the attack, she reported it to the university in hopes she would find ‘some sense of safety on the campus again.’ 

The victim received support from the Guild Women and Non- Binary Officers 2018-2019 who helped to set up a meeting with the university’s Student Conduct department. 

Despite sexual assault and harassment being clearly outlined as prohibited on campus in the Code of Conduct, the university refused to investigate this case as the alleged rape happened in Selly Oak, in a student house, and not on campus. 

The university refused to investigate this case as the alleged rape happened in Selly Oak

The complaint against the attacker was sent to the university on the 8th April 2019, and the victim received a response on the 7th May, nearly a month later, which stated that due to the limitations in the Code of Conduct, the university would not investigate but could instead send a letter to the attacker’s student house in Selly Oak. 

The university told the victim that this letter would ‘outline that a report has been received from another student alleging that, following a night out in December 2016, he behaved in a way which could amount to a serious disciplinary offence as outlined in the University’s regulations.’ However, if the alleged attacker questioned who had filed the complaint, the victim’s anonymity could not be guaranteed. 

Millie Gibbins’ statement followed this article and was released Monday 14th October. She stated that ‘on Friday, I met with the university to let them know I am appalled by the fact that this student felt let down by the system put in place to support them. I want every UoB student who reports incidents of sexual assault and violence to be treated fairly and personally, with access to a service which supports them no matter where the incident took place.’ 

Millie also declares that she will be ‘putting pressure on the university to change legislation that says there is no requirement for the university to pursue disciplinary matters for incidents that take place off campus’ and will be reviewing the ‘You Report, We Support’ tool.