Music Critic Dean Turner reviews the latest single from Black Midi, finding it an atmospheric journey through experimentation and nuance

2nd year Philosophy.

Black Midi are a band whose style is something of a mystery. This track, titled ‘Cruising,’ is but one in a catalogue of examples that proves that their sound defies categorisation. The band have chosen not to starve fans of new material just yet, having only just released their zinger of a sophomore album, Cavalcade, in May. The Japanese edition to Cavalcade included this slow jam, recorded during the album sessions with producer John ‘Spud’ Murphy, as a bonus track. Unlike others, it did not surface on YouTube or other readily accessible platforms, but that has changed with its official release. 

Heavy with cowboy-esque influences and a healthy dose of Avant-Prog noise, this song is consistent with the mood of Cavalcade. On that album, the band were not afraid to delve deeper into their insanity, but they also developed with more nuance the more tranquil aspects of their idiosyncratic sound. ‘Cruising’ demonstrates some of bassist Cameron Picton, and drummer, Morgan Simpson’s more subtle yet utterly gorgeous instrumentation, while frontman, Geordie Greep, layers delightful western-inspired licks upon the atmospheric backdrop. Saxophones, keys, even resonators, accordions, lapsteels, flutes, and more are abound. Greep also trades in some of his more raw and unrefined vocal tendencies for some devilishly melodic croons. His vocals resemble Nick Cave or Scott Walker on this track.

It is truly enchanting, mirroring some of the more soulful moments on Cavalcade, yet the band really pushes the envelope with this track

It is truly enchanting, mirroring some of the more soulful moments on Cavalcade, yet the band really pushes the envelope with this track. ‘Cruising’ certainly belongs to the Cavalcade era of Black Midi, but it is clear why it was not included on the main album. ‘Cruising’ is almost reminiscent of their 2020 single, ‘Sweater’, in that it retains some elements of their most recent album while also sounding like something a little bit different. ‘Sweater’ was both a parting with their first LP and a taste of what was to come. Perhaps ‘Cruising’ is gesturing towards a more jazzy and atmospheric third Black Midi album. 

Overall, I think that ‘Cruising’ would be at home on the soundtrack to some kind of cursed spaghetti-western film. It feels like a journey through the desert at night, before an ambush as the track’s atmosphere builds up to some discordant crescendos, then descends into a bewitchingly smooth relief. ‘Cruising’ is a long, dark, transcendental experience, complete with beautiful instrumentation that still manages to retain that quintessential weirdness and experimentalism you would naturally expect from any Black Midi release. 

Album Review: Black Midi – Cavalcade

Live Review: black midi

Album Review: Inhaler – It Won’t Always Be Like This