Music Editor Hannah Gadd reviews Galantis, David Guetta and 5 Second of Summer’s interesting new collaboration

Galantis, David Guetta and 5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS) have united to bring us a surprising collaboration in the shape of their brand new single ‘Lighter’. Galantis, after searching two years for the right artist to feature on the track, eventually found the missing puzzle pieces in David Guetta and 5SOS. In an interview with Rolling Stone, 5SOS’ Michael Clifford explained why ‘Lighter’ was a logical move for the band, ‘We never say no to anything that feels like it could be a step in the right direction in helping other people- who have never heard of us- hear our music’. 

The track begins to swell as we enter the pre-chorus, the strings carrying the song forwards

The track opens with a swift violin melody as synths emerge in the background. 5SOS’ Luke Hemmings’ vocals are low and steady throughout the first verse, growing in vivacity as the song progresses. The track begins to swell as we enter the pre-chorus, the strings carrying the song forwards. 

Hemmings’ voice shines as it soars through the thumping chorus. The beat drop is reminiscent of EDM hits which topped the charts throughout the early to mid 2010s. The use of strings remains cohesive with Galantis’ work but Guetta and 5SOS’ influence on the track remains present. 

…the trio have produced an undeniably catchy song with it’s big melodies and relentless choruses…

The lyrics are on the simpler side, something which is unusual from 5SOS’ recent music but works with this genre. The message is clear; the song details the comfort in which time spent with a lover can bring and thus feeling ‘lighter’. Whilst a surprising collaboration, the trio have produced an undeniably catchy song with it’s big melodies and relentless choruses and will undoubtedly hit the charts.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy…

Live Review: 5 Seconds of Summer

EP Review: Overpass- From the Night

Single Review: The Driver Era- Get Off My Phone