David Evans discusses ‘Kiss Me’, the first single to be released by UoB’s own Matt McClafferty

Final year Politics student and Music Editor @ Redbrick.

Being in production since mid 2018, ‘Kiss Me’ stands as a mammoth project having undergone edit after edit, drawing out anticipation for one of Selly Oak’s most promising artists. Studying philosophy full time at university, Matt’s single challenges student band stereotypes with its highly polished product. Far removed from the bedroom project where his music is conceived, Matt’s craft is mature, self-aware and utterly commercial in the best sense of the word. By this, McClafferty’s debut is a grand statement, displaying the talent and artistic discipline that he evidently seeks to present with his music.

McClafferty’s debut is a grand statement, displaying the talent and artistic discipline that he evidently seeks to present with his music

Sitting comfortably at four minutes, ‘Kiss Me’ is best described as a laid back, pop track that builds and climaxes to a flood of conscious thought on affection, nervousness and self-doubt. Lyrically, Matt delivers a powerful reflection: confidence on stage contrasted with a fear of intimacy, allowing ‘Kiss Me’ to fit effortlessly into a well versed canon of popular music centered around waiting for love and holding out despite doubts. Three chords ring out through the single, laying the foundation for a well crafted instrumentation of muted guitar picks, shuffling beats, synths and string layers. The total effect being a track delivering a classful parallel to the emotional gravity of the lyrics. After ascending such a peak, the song’s outro and pull back leaves you much like the protagonist, pensive and moved yet longing for another chance of contact.

With a second single and a future EP in the works, Matt’s bounding debut with New Street Records marks a great first step for the Selly Oak vocalist who really deserves the support of the UoB community.

Listen to ‘Kiss Me’ here