An academy in Solihull has closed over COVID-19 fears after pupils returned from a ski trip to northern Italy

@AdamToms3

Tudor Grange Academy in Solihull closed on Wednesday 26th after it emerged that six pupils and a teacher were suffering from ‘flu-like symptoms.’

They have since been self-isolating and have been checked for the COVID-19 virus as they had recently returned from a school ski trip in Tarvisio in north-eastern Italy.

At the time of writing on February 27th, Italy has quarantined more than 50,000 people, with a reported 19 deaths, as large cities have become ‘red zones’ after a recent proliferation of cases in the country.

All pupils – more than 1,500 – were sent home ‘with immediate effect’ after arriving for the school day just minutes earlier.

We will continue to liaise closely with these families and also all those who were on the ski trip

One mum wrote on Facebook: ‘I appreciate the way they have protected the children but surely it could have been done earlier this morning, before they had gone into school.’

The academy’s headmaster, Darren Turner, stated in a letter to parents: ‘We have been monitoring the situation very closely since the ski trip returned and [are] taking regular advice from Public Health England.

We will continue to liaise closely with these families and also all those who were on the ski trip. Naturally, we wish all those who are unwell a speedy recovery.’ He also stated that ‘specialist contractors’ were brought in to ‘deep-clean the whole school’ and reiterated that the school may not be open again until 2nd March. The decision to re-open will be made in accordance with advice from Public Health England.

The Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, has advised anybody who has recently returned from northern Italy and is showing flu-like symptoms to self-isolate for at least 2 weeks to limit a potential spread of the virus.

Northern Ireland confirming their first case on Thursday has taken the UK’s total to 16.

England’s Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty, has announced that contingency plans are in place – including the closure of more schools, cancellation of football matches, limitation of public transport, closure of church services, postponing concerts, and quarantining families – if the UK experiences a pandemic scale spread of the virus.