Film Editor Jess Parker comments on Netflix’s true crime series, focusing on the moral and ethical issues that come with portraying a real-life killer

Print & Features Editor and MA Film and Television: Research and Production student.

Content warning: this article includes themes such as murder, sex, sexual violence, abuse, homophobia, racism, cannibalism.

In September of 2022, Netflix released Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. The limited series consists of 10 episodes that offer a fictionalised retelling of one of the most notorious serial killers to ever exist. Jeffrey Dahmer (Evan Peters) targeted predominantly homosexual and black men over a period of 13 years, with the callousness of his actions still resonating in cultural anxieties across the globe. Due to Netflix and creator Ryan Murphy’s handling of this delicate subject matter, Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story has received its fair share of backlash when concerning the moral and ethical handling of Dahmer’s crimes.

Born in May of 1960, Jeffrey Dahmer was an American sex offender and serial killer who murdered 17 victims between 1978 and 1991. Dubbed the Milwaukee Cannibal, Dahmer brutally dismembered and abused the bodies of his victims, granting him this gruesome nickname. Dahmer’s crimes were foul, and they destroyed the lives of the families that were left in his wake. His attacks were targeted at marginalised communities, and took advantage of his victims’ societal vulnerability.

Audience members have also found cause for concern in Ryan Murphy’s choice to cast Evan Peters as Jeffrey Dahmer

Fictionalised presentations of true crime always come with a level of moral ambiguity. Many of the criticisms associated with Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story are to do with the lack of consent given by the families of Dahmer’s victims.

In conversation with Insider, Rita Isbell (DaShawn Barnes), the sister of victim Errol Lindsey, stated: ‘I was never contacted about the show. I feel like Netflix should’ve asked if we mind or how we felt about making it. They didn’t ask me anything. They just did it’. Here, it is evident that Netflix had no qualms with taking away any sort of agency that the families of Dahmer’s victims had over their personal narratives. 

Audience members have also found cause for concern in Ryan Murphy’s choice to cast Evan Peters as Jeffrey Dahmer. Peters has a long-standing professional relationship with Murphy that stems from their work together on American Horror Story. Peters seems to be stuck in the trap of typecasting, which began with American Horror Story’s very first season, being associated with the likes of mass murderers and cult leaders as a result of this partnership. Peters himself has been vocal about the toll that these characters have had on his own mental health. Speaking with GQ in 2018, Peters discussed these intense roles by stating that “it’s just exhausting. It’s really mentally draining, […]. You’re in traffic and you find yourself screaming and you’re like, What the hell? This isn’t who I am”.

Peters then goes on to expand on the faith that he places in Dahmer’s creator, telling Murphy, “I’m in your hands. Let’s do this. Whatever you need me to do”. There appears to be a dichotomy between the toll that Peters’ distressing roles take on him, and the faith that he puts in Murphy’s creative vision. Murphy evidently believes that Peters is the man for the job, however, many viewers took issue with this decision.

Netflix appear keen to ride the wave of the current true-crime craze, and Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is no exception

Another reason for concern when considering the casting choices of Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is the idolisation that comes along with casting a beloved actor such as Evan Peters. The show seems to glorify Dahmer’s appearance and physique in many twisted scenes, which feels insensitive to the trauma that Dahmer had caused throughout his reign of terror. The show seems to place the visual aesthetics of Dahmer on a pedestal, and Murphy’s casting choices only further this.

Netflix appear keen to ride the wave of the current true-crime craze, and Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is no exception. The show favours immortalising Dahmer as a figure for fascination and intrigue, rather than recognising the brutality of his actions and the tragic destruction left in his wake. By ignoring the real people that were affected by Dahmer’s murders, Netflix’s show feels like a slap in the face. Through fictionally re-imagining such tragic and brutal murders, Netflix and Ryan Murphy have only added to the idolisation of serial killers that has been an ever-recurring pop culture trend.

Check out other Redbrick TV reviews here: 

Review: Taskmaster: Series Fourteen

A Commentary on Queen Elizabeth II’s Funeral Coverage

TV Character Spotlight; Tom Wambsgans (Succession)