TV Editor Sam Wait reports on UoB’s Help the Homeless society launching a COVID safe Valentine’s day fundraiser

TV Editor and English student

The University of Birmingham’s Help the Homeless Society are fundraising by organising a Valentine’s Delivery Service. They are delivering roses for a minimum donation of £2, with the option to add items such as a bag of rose petals and chocolate for an extra fee. This Valentine’s Day, the student committee and volunteers are conducting free COVID-safe delivery around Selly Oak and the Vale.

Let’s Feed Brum, the charity the society is fundraising for, provides food, drink, essential supplies and friendship to those living on the streets in Birmingham.

Poppy Hill, the Chair of UoB Help the Homeless, told Redbrick: ‘The pandemic has been rough for most of us and I think it’s clear how it’s even harder in the winter months.

‘In the first lockdown hotels were opened and filled with rough sleepers. This time around it is below zero degrees outside and there are more rough sleepers than there were in the first national lockdown. Being able to get hot meals to people sleeping rough is more important now than ever.’

The COVID-19 pandemic has proved a challenge for traditional fundraising ideas, with Poppy Hill noting: ‘it’s taken a lot of thinking for the committee to come up with COVID safe fundraising ideas that students will want to take part in.’ Hence, they formulated the idea for a Valentine’s Delivery Service – where roses can be delivered with a personalised note or be left anonymous to surprise your valentine.

COVID safe fundraising ideas that students will want to take part in

UoB Help the Homeless Society volunteers with Let’s Feed Brum weekly to hand out hot meals, drinks and supplies to people sleeping rough. Erin Metcalfe, a volunteer with the society, told us: ‘Just because we are not meant to be going outside right now doesn’t mean homeless people are not there.

Volunteering with Let’s Feed Brum around the city has shown me rough sleepers are more grateful than ever for basic food, drink and warm clothing. In light of the coronavirus, it is so important we do not forget the people who are struggling.’

The society is asking for donations to be made through their PayPal account, so the service can remain contact-free during the coronavirus pandemic. They are asking those donating to outline what they would like to order, where they would like their roses delivered and what message they would like to send to their Valentine. They are raising money until Valentine’s Day, where they will be spending all day delivering the orders.

Like this article? Here are more from News: 

UCU Industrial Action Not Going Ahead

Guild of Students to Lobby University to Declare a Climate Emergency this ‘Go Green Week’

Guild Refuse to Take Society’s Sexual Harassment Complaint Further