University of Birmingham students currently set to study on a year abroad are left in limbo as COVID-19 related uncertainties leave their programmes at risk, with many students unsure whether to prepare for a year at their destination university or in Birmingham.

Written by Charlie Young
2nd Year Social Policy | News Writer | University of Birmingham
Images by Mingkai Zhang

The situation has left students concerned they will be ill-prepared regardless of where they will be studying next year, with Catherine Hollins, a second year Social Policy students with plans to study in Canada, saying ‘I’ve been told by my destination university not to book flights or accommodation, but the years supposed to be going ahead. It could make finding accommodation and flights there since it could be a huge rush to get everything sorted.’ 

Some colleges have offered out options if the student does not wish to see if the situation improves: either to cancel their year abroad and study in Birmingham or to take a leave of absence, however this is only applicable for courses with a non-compulsory year abroad. The idea of students being allowed to study for their third year in Birmingham and then do their year abroad in their fourth year has been floated, with an email to Geography year abroad students claiming ‘this is under discussion at a senior level but we are not sure of what the outcome will be here.’ It is currently unclear how this would work in regards to graduations.

Modern language students are currently required to complete their year abroad in order to graduate from their course, and so are in a uniquely disadvantaged position should they be unable to do so. 

Amber Oddie, a second year German and History student told Redbrick should she miss the year abroad, ‘It would be a disaster. I’m scared we would be stuck in the system, not fluent enough for final year.’ Concerned over the lack of communication she has received from her destination university or UoB, she says: ‘The uni needs to start making decisions now instead of waiting and hoping it will get better.’

It would be a disaster. I’m scared we would be stuck in the system, not fluent enough for final year

One concern shared by some students is that they may be left in a situation where, should their year abroad programme fall through, they will be left unprepared for a year in Birmingham. 

Speaking to Redbrick, second year student Claudia Manfrin said ‘I haven’t picked my final year modules, I haven’t thought about my dissertation. We haven’t been given any support from the uni so far so I’m very worried about it. I would be devastated if my year abroad gets cancelled.’

I would be devastated if my year abroad gets cancelled

News editor, Rhiannon Wood, notes how the confusion surrounding the situation has impacted her plans, saying ‘With the future being so uncertain, I’ve had a lot of anxiety around my year abroad. Not only do I not know if it will go ahead, but I can’t even prepare for next year in the instance it is cancelled. I won’t have a house in Birmingham to live in and it’s making my decision on whether I should run for Redbrick committee very difficult.’

Pro-Vice Chancellor (International), Professor Robin Mason told students: ‘To date the Study Abroad team have been working hard to respond to queries from students currently abroad and are also working closely with departments to put arrangements in place for next academic year.

‘This is a complex undertaking, given how quickly the international picture is moving. We need to ask for your patience as we work through the range of options available. Please rest assured that we are working hard to ensure that your degree will not be disadvantaged, and we are in close contact with our partner universities.’

Adding advice for affected students, ‘please do not incur any costs for travel, accommodation or any other expenses relating to study abroad.’

It should be noted that the operations of the year abroad programmes lie largely in the hands of destination universities, many of which are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.