Students on the Fab N’ Fresh Facebook group have been discussing how the University should re-invest strike savings

Written by Joseph Meakin
News Editor 2020-21

The University of Birmingham has announced that ‘any net “savings” due to strike pay deductions will be re-invested for students and we are working with the Guild to agree how this money may be spent to best meet your needs.’

In light of this, a poll on the Fab N’ Fresh Facebook group has been created to gauge student opinion on how this money should be spent.

The most popular opinion is for students to receive ‘compensation for missed teaching time,’ with 1,089 people at the time of writing indicating a preference for this option. This is despite the University stating that they will not be granting reimbursements ‘where adequate and reasonable steps have been taken to replace lost learning opportunities.’  

Coming in second was the suggestion that the money should be invested in mental health and well-being services. This attained 706 votes.

In third place was a request for the University to train and employ dedicated staff to investigate sexual harassment and abuse and support survivors, with 243 votes. And 121 people supported the option to ‘actually pay the staff.’

We are working with the Guild to agree how this money may be spent

Students also gave support for other options, such as ‘one big, f**k off Fab,’ but these proved less popular with vote tallies failing to break into triple figures.