Food&Drink writer Zenna Hussain shares her Vegan Indian Curry recipe for World Food Day

Written by Zenna Hussain
Images by Zenna Hussain

Last year was my first year of university and a mixture of not being able to go back home or go to restaurants meant I  often found myself missing authentic South Asian food. The beauty of this curry means you can make your base and then substitute in whatever you want – kidney beans, spinach and chickpeas for a nice, simple vegan meal, or chicken, and spinach for something a bit heartier. You can also add in and substitute any vegetables you want!

Serves 3-4 meals

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons of oil
  • 2 medium onions
  • 3-4 garlic cloves
  • 2 tomatoes (fresh or 1/2 tin)
  • 1 pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp of Bassar curry masala
  • 2 tins of kidney beans
  • 1 tin of chickpeas
  • 1 bag of spinach

You can make your base and then substitute in whatever you want

Method

1. Heat up a large cooking pot, using two tablespoons of oil. Cut, then sauté 2 medium sized onions until translucent.

2. Cut and add your garlic. Cook until the garlic starts to change colour from translucent to very light brown. (It will try to stick to the pan so put the heat on the lowest when this happens and stir constantly.)

3. Add a little water and then add the chopped tomatoes and peppers into the base . Cook on a high heat for another couple of minutes. Stir every 30 seconds or so.

4. Add in the salt and the bassar and continue to temper it for around 15-20 mins for a really rich sauce. Stir every couple of minutes.

5. Add the kidney beans, spinach and chickpeas and put heat on full. You can use the liquid from the cans to add flavour. Once it comes to the boil, let it boil for around 5 minutes and then lower the heat and put the lid on.

6. Let the curry simmer for at least 10 minutes and after that, you can open the curry pan and just continue to cook it to a thickness you would like the sauce to be.

7. The curry is done! Serve with bread, wraps, boiled rice or by itself.

If you recreate this recipe, we would love to see it. If you do, make sure to send us a message on our Instagram @redbrickfood where we will be happy to share your recreation.

Hungry for more? Check out these recipes:

Recipe: Tomato, Pesto and Mozzarella Gnocchi

Recipe: Vegan Fakeaway

Food of the Fortnight: Halloumi Tikka Masala