Music Critic Charlotte Prentice-Garner reviews the new album from Tyler, The Creator, arguing that though it may not have the strongest narrative, it maintains and displays his creative flair

Written by charlottepg

Igor, Tyler, The Creator’s 2019 album, was conceptually impeccable, giving CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST a lot to live up to. And yet, June blessed Tyler, The Creator fans with an album which refused to disappoint. Tyler is 30 now, and a lot has changed since his Goblin days; his musical maturity is ever present in CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST. This new album remains characteristically Tyler, with his highly expressive and often peculiar rap style. However, it is the execution that has improved. Whether you prefer the punch of Cherry Bomb, the self-reflection in Flower Boy, or the emotionally-restless alter ego of IGOR, CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST seems to sum up Tyler’s whole sense of self, as well as providing something for everybody.

CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST seems to sum up Tyler’s whole sense of self

‘WUSYANAME’

‘WUSYANAME’ has all the traits of a tune that could make it big. Arguably the most palatable song for the pop-scene, the track takes off when Tyler practices his outrageously cheesy pickup line, ‘awwww you look malnourished,’ which receives disturbed faces every time it is played. Personally, YoungBoy adds very little to the song. Tyler, The Creator’s albums always feature a plethora of guests but ‘WUSYANAME’ could benefit from an interesting musical interlude instead. Nevertheless, the combination of synths and old samples, alongside these layered vocals fromYoungBoy and also Ty Dolla $ign, make a dreamy RnB tune reminiscent of a noughties mixtape and I am living for it.

‘HOT WIND BLOWS’

This song is a firm favourite of mine. The flute samples of ‘HOT WIND BLOWS’ transport the listener to an exotic holiday, which Tyler humorously clarifies is in ‘Geneva, yeah that’s in Switzerland.’  Tyler has a surprising knack for making Lil Wayne sound classy. We first witnessed this in Flower Boy’s ‘Droppin’ Seeds’, but ‘HOT WIND BLOWS’ brings the boyish charm to another level, the two artists’ braggadocio in full form. Halfway through and the track progresses into what could be mistaken for a James Bond classic, as a soulful female singer adds further texture and sultriness. With investigation, it turns out Tyler intentionally did his own version of Penny Goodwin’s ‘Slow Hot Wind’ from 1974; he integrates her sample so beautifully.

they illustrate Tyler’s ability to convey a multitude of emotions

‘WILSHIRE’

This one-beat song felt rhythmically dry. I have come to expect the unexpected in Tyler’s music but, for an 8 minute song, my Generation-Z attention span struggles to listen to the whole thing. However, this isn’t to say ‘WILSHIRE’ is not flooded with raw feeling and personal anecdotes. It is evident throughout the song that Tyler, The Creator is really struggling with unrequited love and becoming a home-wrecker as a result. ‘WILSHIRE’ chaotically follows after ‘JUGGERNAUT,’ an unapologetic, ego-boosting extravaganza. Together, they illustrate Tyler’s ability to convey a multitude of emotions. This particular song just did not do it for me.

At first listen, CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST feels like a vanity project, nearly set in stone by tracks like ‘LUMBERJACK’, giving you the quintessential aggression and ego of alternative rap. Yet it would not be a Tyler album without extremities, and certainly the album equally displays charm and sophistication. Without a doubt, CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST is a perfect summer listen. A combination that works- the album interlaces rap with Soul, Low-fi and RnB. The result is an album comprising of not only hype anthems, but also idyllic tunes to kick back to.  Even Tyler himself acknowledges in his lyrics the progress he has made since some of the rather bodiless tracks of 10 year-old album, Goblin. CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST almost has the attitude of Odd Future but with the eloquence of a fully-emerged artist. As a queer Black artist resisting the macho culture of hip-hop, Tyler, The Creator will always be a worthy and illuminating listen. Although IGOR might be more politically-engaged and has a stronger narrative, ALL ME IF YOU GET LOST has just as much creative flair.

You Might Also Like:

Album Review: Inhaler – It Won’t Always Be Like This

Single Review: Nao – Messy Love

10 Years On: The Incredible Legacy of Amy Winehouse