Food & Drink Editor Cara-Louise Scott looks through the BRIT awards, offering an insight into who she thought were deserving winners

I am a third year English and creative writing student who loves reading, writing and travelling! I am the current Digital Editor and a former Food&Drink editor <3

The 2022 BRIT Awards were back on the 8th February, with a night packed full of music performances and award nominations. Every year I look forward to watching the BRIT Awards and this year was no different. It is always interesting to see how the awards change over the years, who comes and goes from being nominated and what artists are big each year; I always remain surprised each year hearing new names I have never heard of being nominated, a reminder of how diverse the BRIT Awards can be.

But this year for the BRITS, things were very different; the music awards had undergone a re-vamp which included the new host, Mo Gilligan, taking over from Jack Whitehall, and the old gendered categories such as ‘Best International Female’ being scrapped for the inclusivity of gender-neutral categories.

Gilligan was certainly a good replacement for Whitehall, as he offered a great amount of humour. His words didn’t carry any controversy or awkwardness, they seemed to sit perfectly with the audience. 

The evening offered plenty of performances from a variety of musicians. Ed Sheeran opened the show with Bring Me The Horizon, an unlikely combination. I am still trying to consider if it worked or not. KSI performed with Anne-Marie, and other performers included Adele, Sam Fender, and Dave – to name a few. 

But most importantly, the BRIT Awards are all about the awards themselves, and the many nominations it brings. Sadly, there can only be one winner, and while I agreed with some of the winners, I can’t help but wonder whether some artists missed out on a spot that they should have had.

MasterCard Album of the Year

Adele claimed this award (her first of three), which I wasn’t too surprised at. However, I did think Ed Sheeran’s (Equals) may have trumped Adele, Dave, Little Simz, and Sam Fender. 

Artist of the Year

The nominated artists were the same as for the MasterCard Album of the Year, so it was no surprise Adele won this and whether or not I agreed with it, I knew Adele would definitely win this.

Best Group

I really expected Little Mix to win this award, but instead the award went to Wolf Alice, but I was pleased for them for winning a BRIT Award nonetheless.

Song of the Year 

There were so many nominations for this award, which made it difficult to tell who was going to win. Yet, I shouldn’t have been so surprised and disappointed that this award went to Adele’s ‘Easy On Me.’ Other big songs included Ed Sheeran’s ‘Bad Habits,’ and Elton John and Dua Lipa’s ‘Cold Heart’ to name a few from the 15 nominations. Personally, I would have liked to see a different artist than Adele winning this.

Best New Artist 

Little Simz won this award and their speech was emotional to listen to, so even though I had never heard of them, I was really pleased they won.

Best International Artist 

I was shocked Billie Eilish won this. The fact that anyone won over Taylor Swift for the best international artist award was surprising. 

Best International Group 

BTS, ABBA, Måneskin, Silk Sonic, and The War on Drugs were up against each other, and Silk Sonic (the collaborative duo Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak) won. I personally expected BTS to win this, or even ABBA after their comeback. 

Best International Song

Like the Song of the Year award, this award also contained many nominations. I was happy for Olivia Rodrigo winning this award because her speech was very heart-warming and as a young female artist, this is such a big achievement for her. 

Best Dance

Becky Hill won this award with an emotional speech that showed how much it meant to her.

Best Rock/Alternative

I was pleased for Sam Fender winning his first BRIT Award, and felt that he truly deserved this award.

Best Pop/R&B

I was worried that Adele would win another award, but I was glad that Dua Lipa was given this award as between her and Ed Sheeran, they were both worthy of it. It is a shame Ed Sheeran didn’t take any awards home though. 

Best Hip-Hop/Grime/Rap

Dave won this award and I agree he deserved this award the most out of the other nominees. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You Might Also Like:

Grammy Nominations Round-Up

Where Is Rock Music In Britain Today?

Album Review: Bastille – Give Me The Future