Rex Orange County’s single KEEP IT UP has brutally self-reflective lyrics and raw honesty that provides a level of authenticity, Social Secretary Ella Kipling reviews

This January, Rex Orange County announced the release of his upcoming album Who Cares? which fans can stream from March 11th. Along with this news, Rex dropped the first song from the album ‘KEEP IT UP,’ an infectious pop tune accompanied by a music video shot in Amsterdam. The track was recorded in collaboration with Benny Sings, the Dutch musician and producer who has previously worked with Rex on his 2017 hit ‘Loving is Easy.’ 

Rex’s ability to express emotions everyone feels but are often unable to articulate does not falter here

‘KEEP IT UP’ opens with a string melody reminiscent of Pachelbel’s ‘Canon in D’ before the beat kicks in followed by Rex Orange County’s vocals. This hybrid of classical string music and upbeat pop is a staple of Rex’s music. It seems fans can expect his upcoming album to very similarly follow on musically from Pony.

The lyrics are perhaps the best thing about ‘KEEP IT UP.’ Rex’s ability to express emotions everyone feels but are often unable to articulate does not falter here. The catchy beat, which seems to scratch that itch deep in your brain, makes you want to keep the song on repeat and contrasts nicely with the lyrics about the stress Rex is dealing with. 

For all the overachievers and under-believers

Although the song is somewhat melancholy at times, ‘every time I open my mouth / I have regrets in my mind,’ overall this is an uplifting song. It provides a message everyone needs to hear at times – keep it up. However, Rex is successful in not allowing the song to dissipate into a cringe-fest as upbeat songs with messages of positivity often have the misfortune of doing. It is his (as ever) brutally self-reflective lyrics and raw honesty which provides this song with its level of authenticity. You genuinely find yourself believing it when Rex tells you ‘you no longer owe the strangers, it’s enough, keep it up.’ 

For all the overachievers and under-believers, this is the song for you. 

Rating: 8.5/10

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Grammy Nominations Round-Up

Live Review: The Kooks

Single Review: The Loose Fits – La Seule Verite