Music Editor Hannah Gadd reviews The Driver Era’s Latest single ‘Rumors’, describing it as a strong start to the duo’s next chapter

The Driver Era’s latest single ‘Rumors’ is a perfect extension of their quintessential sound whilst also showcasing a new side to the American music-duo’s sonic. This single marks what looks like the start of a new era for the duo, promising for an exciting 2024.

A mellow electric guitar riff runs throughout giving the song an extra edge

The track opens with divine harmonies before the twinkling piano melody and electronic drum beat kicks in. Ross Lynch occupies the lead vocal on this one, sounding warm as he makes his way through the verses and lyrically declares his passivity towards rumours. A mellow electric guitar riff runs throughout giving the song an extra edge and allows the duo to easily blend pop and rock elements together.

The pre-chorus is delightful, staccato guitars and percussion give the vocal delivery an extra punch, further emphasising Lynch’s apathy for hearsay. The chorus introduces a busier soundscape which sounds undeniably catchy and promises to be an ear-worm. The chanted delivery of ‘Cause I’m on your tongue/ And it’s just what I want’, we hear throughout and closes the chorus. 

Lynch displays his tantalising vocal talent, singing skilfully over the familiar chant

A short three-line verse slows the pace before the track bursts back into action again at the pre-chorus, this time sounding more powerful than the first. As we reach the end of the song, Lynch displays his tantalising vocal talent, singing skilfully over the familiar chant. The duo implement a lyric change which closes the track ‘You’re so caught up/ Are you having fun?’ masterfully tying together the lyrical themes of the song with a rhetorical question.

‘Rumors’ is a strong release from The Driver Era and I, and many others, are looking forward to what they do next.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Single Review: Dove Cameron – Sand

Live Review: Jorja Smith

Redbrick Meets: Baby Queen