Music Critic Bethany Carter reviews James’ latest album which lives up to all expectations and cements the band’s well-earned reputation

Written by Bethany Carter
Music Critic

James released their newest studio album All The Colours Of You on June 4th, just in time for it to enter the summer vinyl charts. The release marks their 16th studio album and explores issues ranging from Covid-19 to racial discrimination, arguably placing it as their most forwardly political album to date. There is a clear level of progression from their debut album, Stutter, yet they have still managed to maintain the distinctive sound associated with James.

The first song entitled ‘ZERO’ effectively prepares you for what is to come in the following tracks. With the opening line being: ‘We’re all gonna die,’ it shows the upfront and honesty that is to be expected from this album. There is no sugar-coating or avoidance of the devastation the last year has seen. The track itself is incredibly atmospheric, and this follows through the rest of the album. The song portrays a reality we need more of in music.

There is no sugar-coating or avoidance of the devastation the last year has seen

The title track, ‘All The Colours Of You’ was the first single used to promote the album. It was one originally worked on by bassist Jim Glennie and his brother and came into the mix quite late in terms of finalising the album. The lyrics openly discuss the effect that Covid-19 has had on relationships and the sense of being trapped throughout. Despite the intensity of the lyrics, the music remains upbeat and positive. Something that renowned producer Jacknife Lee has done throughout the album. The music and lyrics are modern, yet you can feel the energy and influence of the 80s at the core of it. 

‘Recover’ is a personal reflection from frontman Tim Booth, who had written the song after the passing of his Father-in-law. The performance video is available to watch on YouTube, where the comments prove the song has helped people going through the same situation. The song is one of hope and has the message ‘it will be alright’ repeated throughout. 

‘Beautiful Beaches’ is, on the surface, a very easy listen. It is the perfect summer pop ballad; however, the lyrics go much deeper. The song reflects Booth’s experience of having to move from his home in Los Angeles due to the wildfires surrounding the area. A lot of James’ songs discuss matters that the band or the world are going through. Everything is more than it seems, yet it is all said in a way that is not intimidating. The track shifts to ‘Wherever It Takes Us’, which is much more up-tempo. The song reads like poetry more than lyrics, making it an engaging listen. 

‘Hush’ also deals with death. The line: ‘Was surprised, you showed up to my wake’ shows the song is from the perspective of somebody in the afterlife. The lyrics stand out majorly in this song. ‘Miss America’ is sung to a very beautiful piece of music and is the most openly critical song to everything bad going on in America, but nothing is ever done about it. It exposes America for what it is, beautiful on the outside but it is all merely a front. 

A few days after the album release, the band posted the music video for ‘Getting Myself Into’. The video itself presents the band members in animal masks in a very playful scenario. The instrumental has as much to say as the lyrics do. It is not as serious as the others but has a sense of fun to it, which is proved by the music video. The following song ‘Magic Bus’ has a slightly darker atmosphere than the rest but is one of the catchiest songs on the album. 

It has a sense of conclusion; the instrumental is responsible for this, and the album could not have ended more appropriately

‘Isabella’ presents a situation of two lovers; it is not a healthy relationship by any means. The lyrics: ‘One’s a lover the other’s my wife’ suggests an affair. The song reflects the consequences of acting on one’s desires. The final track ‘XYST’ is a great closing track. It has a sense of conclusion; the instrumental is responsible for this, and the album could not have ended more appropriately. 

For a band that was formed in the 80s, James have always been capable of creating music that speaks of the time. Now in 2021 – the music is as relevant as it was then. Without changing their sound or what they stand for, they have progressed into a band that will stand the test of time. All The Colours Of You is a great starting point for new listeners of James. There are songs on there that will appeal to music lovers of all kinds and is sure not to disappoint. 

All The Colours Of You is available now via Nothing But Love Music

You Might Also Like

Redbrick Meets: James

Double Single Review: Imagine Dragons – Follow You & Cutthroat

Live Preview: Moseley Folk & Arts Festival

https://www.redbrick.me/album-review-st-vincent-daddys-home/