Music Critic Sammy Andrews reviews The Maine’s frontman John O’Callaghan’s debut solo album which has moments of real promise and emotional exploration

MA Shakespeare Studies student

The Maine’s frontman John O’Callaghan has released his debut solo album as John the Ghost, and it is a delve into identity, selfhood and the personal anxieties and triumphs faced when addressing these questions. With I Only Want to Live Once, John the Ghost furthers the rock based, but often electric and synth led sound that previous singles have established for him and elevates it into an overall cohesive body of work. The album falters at times to capture my imagination and excitement, but there are some really special moments, nonetheless.

This is a song that would, as the title suggests, make you feel as if you are driving in the sun with the windows down

The singles are the clear standouts on I Only Want to Live Once for me. John the Ghost really comes into his own in ‘Rolled Down Window,’ which wonderfully carries a summery and upbeat melody. The guitar riffs and playful whistling add a certain ease and fun to the song, with lyrics such as ‘I’m heading out west to escape my brain’ perfectly encapsulating the idea of escapism and freedom. This is a song that would, as the title suggests, make you feel as if you are driving in the sun with the windows down.

This idea of escaping seems central to I Only Want to Live Once, as John the Ghost seems to be constantly grappling with a desire to escape the trappings of the mind. The opening track of the album ‘LIVE ONCE’ begins with the brilliant turn of phrase in the lyric ‘The bags under my eyes are packed but I’m not going back’ which immediately hits the core element of this album. This is an album about grappling with your emotions, packing the bad ones up and leaving them behind, with the lyrical motif of driving and escaping carrying itself throughout. The single ‘DRIVE’ holds an almost wistful imagination of driving away from the world. Set to low synths and echoing vocals, the drums enter, and it slowly busts into a momentous calling for freedom.

Aside from the singles, the album does have a few lulls in tone and atmosphere

Aside from the singles, the album does have a few lulls in tone and atmosphere. Songs such as ‘Y’ and ‘8’ are at times quite repetitive. They seem a little bit too weighed down by the electric effects layered throughout them. The key themes of the album are maintained, but the sound never really manages to lift itself off of the ground like it manages to in ‘DRIVE.’

Yet, there are also some hidden gems buried within I Only Want to Live Once. ‘NO LIFE AT ALL’ is another very atmospheric moment on the album but has an incredibly fun guitar hook that weaves its way throughout. Similarly, ‘SO SO’ has a really driving drumbeat throughout it that lifts up the melancholic tone of the song, and at times, brutally honest lyrical reflections.

John the Ghost’s debut album is a delve into John O’Callaghan’s consciousness. The inner workings of his anxieties are lay bare for all to hear, and yet the themes seem so universal. At times, the musical landscape falters and proves slightly monotonous, but in other points the album really shines. Grappling with a desire to run away, I Only Want to Live Once ironically does not run away from its emotional roots.

I Only Want to Live Once is available now via 8123

__________________________________________________________________________________________  You Might Also Like:

A Beginner’s Guide to: JPEGMAFIA

Album Review: Slowthai – TYRON

A Press Conference for Jon Batiste

Single Review: Taylor Swift – Love Story (Taylor’s Version)