Digital Editor Cerys Gardner discusses how attitudes towards the art form have shifted and shares their own experience with tattooing

Written by Cerys Gardner
Images by Cerys Gardner , Will Moran

It is undeniable that tattoos have exploded in popularity in the last decade or so with 40% of UK adults having at least one tattoo according to research from 2018. Tattoos have come to be seen as more socially acceptable. However, there is still some stigma around face and neck tattoos with a 2018 YouGov poll claiming that a face tattoo reduces your chance of being hired by 61%. Many tattoo artists will refuse to tattoo someone’s face and neck unless they are otherwise totally covered for this reason. 

For artists, Instagram acts as a portfolio, a way to display their work so that people know what styles they excel in

I think that one reason for the rise in the popularity of tattoos is the accessibility of artists via platforms like Instagram. It is so much easier to find artists whose style you like, and it is much clearer on their contact information– most will have instructions on a story highlight or in their bio and will announce on Instagram when they are open for bookings. 

For artists, Instagram acts as a portfolio, a way to display their work so that people know what styles they excel in. This is why a lot of artists were anxious when Instagram suggested it would be trying to shift to a more video-based platform, although so far that does not seem to be the case. Many artists also have a love-hate relationship with Instagram because of the algorithm it uses to show posts because many of their posts ended being shown to only a fraction of their followers, limiting exposure to their work. 

Furthermore, Instagram’s censorship of breasts has caused issues for some artists who, despite covering the area, have been suspended from their accounts for posts featuring sternum or rib tattoos. Overall, I think Instagram has become a helpful tool for clients and artists alike– it is how I have found and contacted the artists I have been tattooed by– although there are definitely ways the platform could improve. Some artists have also embraced TikTok, such as Zara, who is based in Falkirk, and Jamie Lo, who is based in Dublin. They share time-lapses of the tattooing process, answer followers’ questions about tattooing, or share stories of funny clients.

[Artists] share time-lapses of the tattooing process, answer followers’ questions about tattooing, or share stories of funny clients

Currently, I have three tattoos. My first is a small linework cherry blossom that I got in January 2020 from Sarah-Louise, who is based in Birmingham centre. I cannot recommend her highly enough. I got it high up on my left arm, near the shoulder, which means it is usually hidden under t-shirts. This is helpful although I do wish I had got it slightly lower because it can be difficult to show off, especially in the winter months.

My second tattoo is a blue forget-me-not on my right forearm that I got in May 2021 from Felix, based in Erdington, who I also highly recommend. This is my favourite of my tattoos, I really love the colour of it which so far has held up incredibly well. The placement of it is also perfect – it is usually on show but I can still cover it with a long-sleeved top if needed. The healing process was a bit annoying because I got this tattoo just before the early June heatwave hit, and fresh tattoos have to be kept out of direct sunlight for two weeks. I mainly got around it by covering my arm with a flannel shirt and thankfully it has healed well. 

My third tattoo is also by Sarah-Louise, it is another cherry blossom with two blossom flowers attached to a diamond-shaped outline just above the elbow on my left arm. This tattoo is my most recent. I got it in September 2021 due to the third lockdown although I originally booked it in September 2020 for January 2021. I am so glad I managed to get it eventually because I love the way it looks and how it compliments my other cherry blossom tattoo. 

Personally, I like getting tattoos mostly because I enjoy having them– they are fun to look at. Also, as a queer and nonbinary person my tattoos are a form of self-expression that, despite none of my tattoos so far being overtly queer, connects me to my queerness and I feel like it acts as a visible symbol to other queer people. In addition to this, my tattoos are something that I like and can control about my body, in a body that I often feel uncomfortable in– there is a sense of reclaiming my body in getting tattooed. This is also why I really enjoy being complimented on my tattoos, they are something that I chose and I like it when other people notice and appreciate them the way I do. 

There is a sense of reclaiming my body in getting tattooed

I also enjoy the sensation of being tattooed to a certain extent, it is painful but never much more than a prolonged scratch – so far I have avoided some of the more painful areas of the body like the ribs or the knees. I find them so relaxing that, if it had been a fraction less painful, I think I could have fallen asleep while getting my second tattoo. 

I do have certain things I keep in mind when getting a tattoo. Personally, I would never get a script tattoo because they’re not something I am interested in. I am also trying to keep all my tattoos to a floral/nature theme because I think these are images that will not go out of style or that I will get bored of. I would not get a tattoo for an artist or show I love unless it was very loosely related in case I end up hating that show or artist in the future. As I get more tattoos, I have also begun to think carefully about placement and what sorts of tattoos I want where. For example, both of my linework tattoos are on my left arm whereas my colour tattoo is on my right arm– this is so that I can have both styles of tattoo but without them clashing with each other. 

Overall, I would recommend that anyone who wants to get a tattoo. They are so fun and you get a permanent piece of artwork to carry with you. I would also encourage students to take advantage of being in Birmingham to get tattooed, there are so many great artists here! I recommend Sarah-Lousie and Felix as well as everyone at Lucky Rabbit Tattoo Cult, the studio Sarah works at. I hope this article has been informative and maybe persuaded you to get a tattoo!

Read more from Life&Style:

The Tattoo Taboo in the Workplace

More than an Aesthetic– Cottagecore and Queerness

Drag Race UK and Non-Binary Representation: A Step in the Right Direction