News Editor Joshua Herman reports on the affects that the Digbeth tramline extensions have had on local businesses in the area

Written by Joshua Herman
Images by Chris Dack

It has been reported that significant progress on the Birmingham Metro tram extension – with Midland Metro Alliance (MMA) stating that new track extensions have been made in Digbeth. Notable work has been completed along the northern side of Digbeth High Street, and installations are said to commence at the start of next year at Curzon Street. 

The MMA have discussed their progress so far. The first section of the rail has been finished, and utility upgrades and diversions have been set up. They stated that the project will be a ‘game-changer’, providing those living and working in Birmingham with more public transport. Since the project has faced delays and roadworks have been in place for 16 months, there has been a reported drop in business for independent traders working in the Digbeth area.

The first section of the rail has been finished, and utility upgrades and diversions have been set up

Ethan Webb commented that the Eastside Metro Tramline project ‘is strangling everything in Digbeth’, after his café, barber, and bar all had to close down because of roadworks. 

Furthermore, Wine Freedom, independent wine merchants, announced on Instagram that it would have to close. They said:

‘The odds stacked against us: the lack of access, obstructive construction, combined with rising costs and an unprecedented economic future has made it a prudent decision to call it a day.’

‘Our pockets are not deep enough to see the operation through to realise its full potential.’ 

Wine Freedom held their last event on Saturday, November 26th.

Russel George, who is the licensee of both Digbeth’s Mockingbird Cinema and Sobremesa bar, noted that ‘The tram extension project has made the area unaffordable for small businesses.’

‘The tram extension project has made the area unaffordable for small businesses.’

Discussing the effect to the Mockingbird Cinema, he said that turnover has gone down by approximately 60% in the last 12 months, whilst costs have gone up by around 50%. Expressing his disappointment, Russel remarked that, ‘Digbeth used to shine but it isn’t at the moment’.

Redbrick reached out to the MMA for a comment, they responded:

‘We recognise that it is a difficult time for businesses in the current economic climate and we understand our works can cause additional disruption to nearby businesses. Our dedicated Stakeholder Liaison and Marketing teams have supported retailers and businesses along Digbeth High Street throughout the works.’

‘The team provides bespoke marketing support such as banners, targeted social media campaigns and paid-for TV advertising to promote that businesses in the area are open as usual as construction takes place. In addition, the West Midlands Combined Authority offers assistance to smaller firms and retailers whose trade may be directly affected whilst the tramway works are underway, through its Financial Assistance Package scheme, with all applications independently administered.’

Read more News articles here:

Dad’s Cosy Coat Project Proves to be a Massive Success

Young Conservative Faces Backlash After Calling Birmingham a ‘Dump’

UK Universities to be Fined Over Student Dropout and Graduate Employment Rates