Life&Style writer Lily Cratchley discusses whether our lockdown-generated habits will stick once life returns to normal

Written by LilyCratchley
Images by Cole Allen

When lockdown was implemented on March 23, life as we once knew it stopped. Since then, things have been tweaked and changed; from our eating habits to our spending worries, our fitness routines to our dating patterns. The little things that make up our world are constantly adapting. But which of our newfound habits will survive the test of time as restrictions ease?

When lockdown hit, socially distanced dating came into the mainstream, with a rise in reviving old Tinder accounts and chatting up locals on Hinge. Relationships blossomed over Netflix Party, couples becoming exclusive before even meeting in person. Web dating certainly has its perks; less effort in getting ready, saving money and the elimination of ‘stranger-danger’ concerns. But can one really ‘catch a vibe’ or feel a spark over a webcam? Something about this loss of intimacy here suggests we’ll be swiping left and reverting to dates in bars as soon as possible.

Something about this loss of intimacy here suggests we’ll be swiping left and reverting to dates in bars as soon as possible

Pre-lockdown, for many the likelihood of seeing extended family more than once annually, with a customary exchange of Christmas presents alongside a year’s worth of news, would be pretty slim. Now, weekly Zoom meetings and quizzes have become the norm, with some families even competing in virtual bake-offs or hosting calls with dressing up themes. As new lockdown habits go, this one’s pretty sweet; I for one will definitely be swiping right to keeping in better contact with loved ones.

Healthier lifestyle habits have swept the nation: every man and their dog are out running, and families have more time to practise yoga or mindfulness. YouTube workouts have become a daily occurrence with personal trainers even delivering sessions virtually while all gyms are closed. However, the probability that these lifestyle changes will slowly start to fade away when lockdown eases is high. Time for exercise will diminish with the chaos of daily life and I’m sure gym bunnies are already counting down the days until they can trade in their potholed paths for those sleek machines.

Gym bunnies are already counting down the days until they can trade in their potholed paths for those sleek machines

Now that older generations have truly experienced the pleasure and addiction of clicking a button and receiving any kind of hot food on their doorstep, what is the likelihood they’ll be running to restaurants upon their return? I’d suggest apps like Deliveroo and UberEats will definitely experience a boost, fuelled by you, sat in your PJs, contemplating whether to order Dominoes or Maccies.

Lockdown life has taught us how to be creative, use our imagination and adjust our daily habits to fit in with a global crisis. As for how long these changes will last? Who knows. But if we’re swiping right to anything in our post-lockdown lives, fingers crossed it’ll be our newfound resourcefulness, versatility and community spirit.

Liked this article? Check out some of our others on life in and beyond the pandemic:

Zoom Boom Highlights How Virtual Interaction is Vital

Five Ways To Ease Re-Entry Anxiety

Shopping in Britain Post-Lockdown