Digital Editor Tamzin Meyer discusses whether ITV sufficiently protects their stars and how we viewers should reevaluate reality TV fame

Redbrick Digital Editor

Content Warning: Mentions of Suicide

Love Island has been the topic of many debates regarding the mental health of contestants over the years. Unfortunately, it has almost become expected that reality TV stars will become victims to online trolling no matter how much we try to prevent it. Those in the public eye are surrounded by social media posts targeting them – something that nobody should have to deal with. It is understandable for many islanders to be sucked in by the idea of fame when they first apply for the show. The chance of winning £50,000 and being signed up for major brand deals sounds like the perfect dream for lots of young people. New contestants will look to the successes of ex-contestants like Molly-Mae and Tommy Fury without realising exactly what they are signing up for. After leaving the Villa, contestants will enter a world very different to the one they were used to, filled with swarms of paparazzi, fans and haters.

Islanders need a thick skin, but nothing can truly prepare somebody for life in the spotlight

Past Love Island stars, Sophie Gradon, Mike Thalassitis and Caroline Flack all tragically took their own lives. All were subject to the hatred of online trolls who actively sought to bring them down, this taking a toll on their mental health. Currently, applicants who have any mental health issues on record are disqualified from being allowed on the show. Is ITV protecting those most vulnerable from having to deal with the negative side to fame, or simply trying to cover themselves from being blamed for the mental health issues of contestants in the Villa?

In the past, ITV has been accused of not doing enough to prepare contestants for life outside of the Villa. Whilst they were protected from public opinion during their time on the show this ceased to exist the moment they left the show. Former contestant Jordan Adefeyisan expressed his feelings regarding this, on Instagram, stating ‘please don’t just dump dumped islanders at the airport not knowing how to deal with all the press.. it was actually terrifying… thank you.’ ITV have seemingly taken comments like these on board to ensure that new contestants have a more positive experience. Whilst it may be considered as unfair for ITV to disqualify those with pre-existing mental health issues, I think that ITV are protecting those who are vulnerable. I would personally discourage anybody who has mental health issues from applying for the show, whether allowed to by ITV or not, as they will most likely not be able to defend themselves against hate comments and attacks from the press.

Whilst they were protected from public opinion during their time on the show this ceased to exist the moment they left the show

I think that the problem extends much further than protecting those most at risk of being affected by their newfound fame – those who have never experienced mental health issues before also find themselves becoming ill from their experience on the show. I think it is hard for viewers to remember that the show is a game. There is a cash prize involved that all islanders will be wanting to win. The fast-paced atmosphere can make emotions run high. We, as viewers, only get to see a highly-edited hour of their lives. We must remember that it’s impossible to form accurate judgments of islanders based on what we see on the television. Chloe Burrows received hundreds of death threats on social media after her explosive entrance into the Villa this year which saw Shannon Singh being dumped from the island. Viewers need to keep in mind that the islanders are humans too and can become very affected by their cruel words.

We must remember that it’s impossible to form accurate judgments of islanders based on what we see on the television

Doctor Alex George highlighted this perfectly in an Instagram post as he brought the situation closer to home – ‘what if that was your child on the end of that hate?’ He himself appeared on the show and had tragically lost his own brother to suicide.

ITV seems to be learning from the past treatment of islanders and is doing more to provide them with the aftercare they need. They will now be given care for over a year after leaving the show, including having access to a minimum of eight therapy sessions after leaving the show. Contestants will also be given advice on how to deal with online trolls and a mental health professional will also be available throughout the whole of the contestant’s time in the villa. The show has also urged viewers to think before they type hateful comments and to remember that ‘islanders are people with feelings.’ Whilst this is a huge step in the right direction, I think that more must be done to protect the show’s stars. Comments on the show’s social media could be filtered so that stars are not exposed to thousands of hateful comments; the show has a duty to help stop the trolls and not simply provide a solution in dealing with them.

Admittedly, it has to be acknowledged that many former contestants have taken time to praise the show for their care. Series three islander, Amber Davies spoke out on Lorraine stating, ‘I can’t speak for everyone else but my personal experience of aftercare was amazing’, whilst Series five contestant, Amy Hart, expressed how she could ‘not fault the support.’ 

ITV can only do so much when it comes to the mental health of islanders. Some things are beyond their control and unfortunately, trolls will always find a way of making themselves known. I think that all that can really be done is to do extensive research before applying for any reality TV show and actively seek support if you find yourself struggling under the burden of stardom.

Mental health resources may be found on the NHS and Birmingham City Council websites.

Read More from Life&Style:

Why Mental Health Support on Streaming Services is Important

Stop Asian Hate: Fashion and Cultural Appropriation

Top 5 Celebrity Homes on Architectural Digest’s ‘Open Door’