Life & Style Editor Julia Lee reviews Dreamboats and Petticoats: Bringing on Back the Good Times, praising the live band as what makes the musical special

Life&Style Editor, Law Student, Lover of Les Mis

Sequel to a beloved jukebox musical based on CD compilations chock-full of mid-century hits, Dreamboats and Petticoats: Bringing on Back the Good Times delivered exactly as ordered.

What makes Dreamboats special is easily the live band, who are also the in-universe band, The Conquests.

Never has a jukebox musical felt more like a jukebox come to life. With over 35 songs in two acts, Dreamboats is more of a tribute concert than a plot driven musical. What makes Dreamboats special is easily the live band, who are also the in-universe band, The Conquests. They are often joined by brass and woodwinds played by the talented ensemble, who all take on multiple roles throughout the show. The instruments make for a characteristic Motown sound– with costumes that consist of gogo boots and various brightly coloured mod dresses, the audience are effectively transported into the height of the 60s.

The loosely tied narrative depicts three couples struggling to maintain their relationships as they rise to fame. Norman (Alastair Hill), whose position in the septet is in jeopardy, has a newborn with Sue (Lauren Anderson-Oakley). Ray and Donna (Samara Clarke) have to maintain jobs while supporting The Conquests at their placement in Butlin’s. Laura (Elizabeth Carter) and Bobby (David Ribi) are separated for the summer, Laura performing to raucous crowds in Torquay while Bobby is overshadowed by the fellow members of his band. While some of their hijinks felt overblown, they are quickly forgiven once the next song kicks into gear.

The highlight of the show for me was the a cappella rendition of ‘Blue Moon’ lead by David Luke’s Ray

Beyond songs that involve the full band like ‘Mony Mony’ which are undoubtedly enjoyable, the highlight of the show for me was the a cappella rendition of ‘Blue Moon’ lead by David Luke’s Ray. The skill and talent of the cast was in full display here, remarkable harmonies and lack of complicated choreography made for an emotional change of pace from the highly energetic rest of the show. Being the face of the era that inspired the musical, Mark Wynter’s silky smooth voice was a definite crowd pleaser. All members of the cast have their moment in the spotlight, David Benson’s recreation of Kenneth Williams’ ‘Ma Crepe Suzette’ (a parody of ‘Auld Lang Syne’) especially had the audience roaring with laughter.

The set is minimal, settings conveyed through hanging neon signs, yet never feels empty. This is owed to the colourful collages on the wings and constant movement of the actors, whether it is shredding their guitar downstage, doing the twist while playing their saxophones, or simply dancing so joyously it makes you want to join in.

Dreamboats and Petticoats does not pose as profound or hide its roots as a marketing tactic, but I daresay I am sufficiently influenced. It is a wonderful break from modern popular music– ‘Bringing on Back the Good Times’ will no doubt be on repeat for weeks to come.

Rating: 3.5/5

Enjoyed this? Read more musical reviews on Redbrick Culture!

Musical Review: Bat Out of Hell – A Double Perspective

Musical Review: The Magician’s Elephant

Musical Review: Grease