Sport Writer Katie Halliday reviews the impact Taylor Swift’s relationship with Travis Kelce has had on the NFL

Written by Katie Halliday
Third year English and Creative Writing student at UoB.

Whether you love her or hate her, Taylor Swift’s impact on the NFL in recent months has been nothing short of iconic. Leading one of the largest fanbases in the world, it was no surprise when Swift’s close ties to the two-time Superbowl winner, Travis Kelce, skyrocketed to media headlines, becoming one of the hottest topics of 2023. 

Taylor Swift’s impact on the NFL in recent months has been nothing short of iconic

Talk of a blooming relationship between the two first started during the first leg of Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour. Kelce attended one of her Kansas City performances back in July, bearing a ‘Swiftie’ friendship bracelet, with his number on it, that he hoped to gift her. How this moment spiralled into a relationship is unknown to the public, but their clear adoration and infatuation for each other has been one for the history books.

Not only has their relationship blown up online, but more importantly, it has become the talking point in NFL coverage. Swift has attended four Kansas City Chiefs matches so far this season, and the camera has never strayed too far from the box she sits in. Ever since rumours of the two erupted, the NFL have used it to drag in a larger viewership, drawing in ‘Swifties’, by posting the songstress all over their social media, as well as the pundits using it as an opportunity to subtly mention as many of her songs in their commentary as they can.

But how has she impacted America’s biggest sporting league?

Since last season, there has been a noticeable increase in female viewers, between ages 18-25, and over 35; not to mention the 400% surge in Kelce jerseys. On X (previously Twitter), social engagement on the NFL and Kansas City Chiefs pages has almost doubled since Swift’s first appearance at the match against Chicago Bears. There has been live content as well, with a graphic displayed on TV depicting Kelce’s recent form with his new beau in attendance. In the four games she was present, the tight end averaged 108 receiving yards, compared to his usual 46.5. Whether this can be, or should be marked down to Taylor Swift, it is up for debate.

The attention hasn’t just fallen upon Travis Kelce, but also his Superbowl winning brother, Jason, who plays for Philadelphia Eagles, and is consistently ranked in the top 3 centres of the league. The two have a podcast together entitled ‘New Heights’, which has since topped the podcast rating charts on Spotify, where the two discuss American football, and their personal lives. Swift, of course, has become a popular talking point on the show, and any clips discussing her have gone viral on TikTok. 

Since last season, there has been a noticeable increase in female viewers

Both with and without Taylor Swift’s input, the Kelce brothers have been on the rise in recent months, as both played in the Superbowl final in January earlier this year. In September, a documentary called Kelce dropped on Amazon Prime, depicting Jason Kelce’s thrilling 2022/2023 season, showing the world the insights of his professional, and private life, where he battled with the looming question of whether it was time to retire.

Despite all this excitement of two polar opposite worlds colling, it is important to consider when does enough become enough?

It may have been exciting coverage at the start of the season, but it seems that not all NFL fans are happy to see so much of this relationship broadcasted everywhere. In what has been recently labelled as ‘Taylor-fatigue’, polls show an overwhelming support to lessen the cuts towards the global superstar, and instead to focus on the match. This has been a popular position for both men and women, and whether the NFL will listen to their fans, or continue to be fuelled by the monetary benefits, only time will tell.

Whatever opinions people have on Taylor Swift’s impact on the NFL, only an impressive kind of someone can influence a field that is so far from their own.

Check out these latest Sport articles here:

Can an NFL Player Make It as a Sprinter?

Two Sides: Who Will Win Super Bowl LVII?

NFL: Three underperforming teams in the AFC