Hannah Lapworth mourns the end of Anne With an E following its delightful final season

Written by Hannah Lapworth
BA History student, consumes too much coffee.

The third season of the much-loved Netflix show Anne with an E is even better than its preceding season. With a combination of great scenery, score, and costumes, the show invites you to stay in Avonlea in 40-minute bursts. Careful to keep an eye on the time though, as before you know it, it might be 3 am.  

This season, although not accurate to the books, pulls the original material into the twenty-first century. One of the big focuses of this season is gender equality and the expectations of women. Anne (Amybeth McNulty) uses her voice to make clear the unjust practices common at the time, and the bond with her friends is as much of a love story as hers with Gilbert (Lucas Jade Zumann).

Diana also takes a bigger plotline this season. The expectations placed on her are vastly different from that of Anne, and that becomes especially notable in the last few episodes. Whilst sometimes heartbreaking, Jerry’s part to play in her journey is especially painful, her eventual success at achieving her dream is pleasing.

It was good to see a TV show acknowledge the problematic responses white people had to those different to them

Love is at the centre of this show, in all of its different forms. Anne’s exploration of her lineage and true identity paralleled with Ka’kwet’s (Kiawenti:io Tarbell) loss of her identity is particularly striking. Ka’kwet’s storyline is one of the harsh realisations of the discrimination indigenous people faced at this time. Ka’kwet’s treatment and forced colonisation is a poignant reminder of common operations. Race is also a prominent discussion within this season, and it was good to see a TV show acknowledge the problematic responses white people had to those different to them. Both Bash (Dalmar Abuzeid) and Ka’kwet faced many challenges to do with how they were viewed, highlighting the white privilege the other members of Avonlea faced. 

We truly get to see Anne grow up this season, her maturity and development speaking volumes, especially as she realises her affection for Gilbert. His love for Anne is a romance for the decades and even made me shed a few tears in the last episode. Their constant back and forth and belief that their feelings towards each other are unrequited is as frustrating as it is enjoyable to watch. 

It’s a shame that Netflix has decided to cancel this series

All in all, this season of Anne with an E pairs beautiful storytelling of important issues with the backdrop of amazing scenery, making it the perfect show for those cold winter evenings. Though some of the acting can be subpar, Lucas Jade Zumann sometimes missed the mark, you tend to forget about it due to how joyous the show is. It’s a shame that Netflix has decided to cancel this series. I, for one, would like to know how Anne and her friends get along at college, Anne and Gilbert’s courtship and what will happen to Ka’kwet. It’s not hard to see why even Ryan Reynolds is joining in the fight for this show. 

Anne with an E feels like a hug, its warm lighting and beautiful storylines are irresistible and make you feel inspired to take on the world. With strong female friendships, family, love, and a girl who is not afraid to stand up for what’s right at its centre, this show is exactly what we need right now.

Rating = 4/5