Culture Writer Zenna Hussain reviews UoB Panto Soc’s adaptation of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, praising the beauty of its queer representation as well as the chemistry of its cast

Written by Zenna Hussain

According to Brumfess, UoB Panto Soc is one of the gayest societies on campus. After watching The Lion, The Witch, and the Panto, I have to admit that they have earned their moniker, from ‘Queen Aslan (Adam Dorey),’ to a gender-bending Caspian (Ellie Littlewood), and the general campiness of the pantomime.

The Panto manages to keep fairly faithful to the original […] The changes merely add to the pantomime’s campy magnificence

Unless you didn’t have a British childhood, you’ll be familiar with the well-known children’s classic The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but if not, let me explain: Four siblings are evacuated from their war-torn home in Britain to live with a kindly professor, where they find a wardrobe that takes them to the enchanted land of Narnia. While there, they learn that Narnia has been cursed with an endless winter as a result of the White Witch, and they meet creatures, talking animals, and Aslan on their journey to recover Narnia. The youngsters learn about betrayal, magic, and their own bravery while reclaiming Narnia.

Moving at a breakneck pace, The Lion, the Witch, and the Panto manages to keep fairly faithful to the original, cramming the whole tale of the first Narnia film and incorporating aspects from later films into two and a half hours. The changes merely add to the pantomime’s campy magnificence, to which the production is entirely devoted to. These modifications include the previously noted queering of the tale. Susan’s (Sav Dixon) and Caspian’s (Ellie Littlewood) lovely, bumbling relationship dominates the second act, in all of its queer beauty, as does Ginarrbrik’s (Evie Crawford) fascination with the White Witch.

Susan’s (Sav Dixon) and Caspian’s (Ellie Littlewood) lovely, bumbling relationship dominates the second act, in all of its queer beauty

The ensemble in general had strong chemistry, playing off one other and evidently comfortable with each other, as seen by the group numbers, which at times seemed to include the whole cast. Their synchronisation and comfort with each other were therefore striking, even without considering the fluid, elaborate choreography, and beautiful, various voices – not just showcasing kind.

The ensemble also managed to play off the crowd which, despite being in the middle of exam season, was impressively large. The characters, particularly Edmund (Immie Booth) and Aslan (Adam Dorey), benefit from the usual pantomime clichés of heckling and audience participation. The Lion, the Witch, and the Panto’s strongest aspect had to be its self-awareness, which is another common pantomime element. While not of the highest quality, the set pieces added to the show’s charm as a university production. The transition to Narnia, with its icy trees, was marked by a helpful, tongue-in-cheek sign that said, ‘Psst, you’re in Narnia.’

Fluid, elaborate choreography, and beautiful, various voices

This was complemented by an almost im-paws-ibly large number of lion puns courtesy of Aslan (Adam Dorey), as well as purr-fectly fitting tunes like Katy Perry’s Roar and Eye of the Tiger. Songs like Journey, Ababa, Rihanna, and musicals like Oliver Twist were also utilised in The Lion, The Witch, and the Panto. S’N’M’s parodic Narnia-version will haunt you, and I herby petition for it to be put on Spotify. 

Similarly, Edmund’s (Immie Booth) performance of I Want to Break Free was reminiscent of a fever dream, and his whininess, like Peter’s(Anthony Johnson) pontification, Lucy’s (Ellen Chancellor) kindness, and Susan’s(Sav Dixon) self-sacrifice, was completely in line with the film.

[There was] an almost im-paws-ibly large number of lion puns

The effort put into this play is obvious: the programmes have a home-made appeal, there are crocheted animal hats—and the animals in particular were adorable—and there are all the markings of a wonderful panto: a superb live band, catchy, well-loved songs, and flashing strobe lights.

Easily accessible nestled within the Guild, The Lion, The Witch, and the Panto, is also affordable,  allowing you to give to a charity: Stonewall, of course, who else given the pantomime’s campiness? 

So what’s the point of going? Watch if: You enjoy pantomime, want to support your fellow students, grew up with Narnia, or are even the slightest bit connected to the LGBTQIA community. 

Enjoyed This? Read more from Redbrick Culture here!

Theatre Review: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Panto Review: Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Musical Review: Kinky Boots