Film Critic Charis Gambon praises the latest instalment of The Princess Switch series, writing that it is the perfect light-hearted Christmas watch

Written by charisGambon

Vanessa Hudgens gives yet another flawless performance as Stacey, Margaret, and Fiona in The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star. The film is very on-brand with the previous two instalments, and is just as good as both. Sequels often lose part of the magic of the original film, but I did not feel that at all in this film!

The character development […] was phenomenal

The character development for Fiona in this film was phenomenal and she actually became a likeable character which contrasted how she was in the previous films. Everything works out for Fiona in this film, and we see her finally experience her ‘happily ever after.’ She is well and truly putting the past behind her and is willing to begin to let those around her into her life.

Stacey and Margaret are yet again the perfect duo as seen in the previous two films. They work together, which can be expected, to create the perfect Christmas. The two are absolutely adorable together as the best of friends. It is nice to see the continuation of their wonderful friendship. 

Prince Edward (Sam Palladio) is incredibly funny, and it is apparent how much he cares about his wife throughout the film. As Edward puts it in the film the two really do make the best team! Not only that, but it is clear how much Kevin (Nick Sagar) and Margaret care about Kevin’s daughter Olivia (Mia Lloyd) throughout The Princess Switch 3. Having her push the button to turn on the Christmas lights at the light switch on ceremony was a touching and ingenious way to show that she is part of the family despite the fact that she is not actually in most of the film. The fantastic performances given by this cast bring the entire film together.

The perfect combination of comedy and more serious moments

The film is the perfect combination of comedy and more serious moments. On the surface, the film is nothing but a light-hearted comedy but underneath all of that is a message: that family is important, especially at Christmas. It also suggests that it is never too late to give those who have wronged us a second chance. This message is showcased throughout the film, and is perfectly complemented by the pace. It is steady throughout, which makes it the perfect speed: easy to follow, but not too dull nor so fast-paced that you cannot keep up. These two factors combined are the sign of a great film.

The writing of the film is perfect and ensures that there is always something interesting happening in the film. It is exciting, thrilling and engaging – I would suggest that they could not possibly have done a better job at writing the film.  The characters are well written and believable, and the writing of the dialogue is spot on. You can see that a lot of care has gone into ensuring that each character’s lines match their dynamic. 

Verdict:

The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star is the perfect Christmas film, and is a fun watch for people of all ages. I would especially recommend the film to people who have seen the previous instalments, as it provides a satisfying continuation of the story for fans of the series.

9/10

The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star is now streaming on Netflix

For more Christmas joy, check out these articles from Redbrick Film:

Review: The Princess Switch

Review: The Princess Switch: Switched Again

Review: Love Hard