Billie Eilish and ROSALÍA’s ‘Lo Vas A Olvidar’ will leave you spellbound for its entire duration, Music Critic Ffion Haf reviews

3rd year English Literature student and Comment Editor.

‘Lo Vas A Olvidar’ is a slow, moving song about heartbreak, with the title translating to ‘you will forget it.’ ROSALÍA’s unique sound of Latin transfused with R&B beautifully juxtaposes with Eilish’s dark pop, creating a tune like no other. The song is driven by emotion, and its authenticity stands out through the fact that the collaboration is mostly sung in Spanish; in an interview with Apple Music, ‘Eilish described how she encouraged that the song remained in Spanish.’ The mellow atmosphere and the melancholic tone of the song is perfectly fitting for the HBO television drama Euphoria, featuring in the episode ‘Part Two: Jules.’

ROSALÍA’s unique sound of Latin transfused with R&B beautifully juxtaposes with Eilish’s dark pop, creating a tune like no other

The lyrics ask a lost love to ‘Dime si no me perdonas aún,’ which translates to: ‘tell me if you still won’t forgive me,’ homing in on the transient nature of even the most intense loves. Listeners do not need to be fluent in Spanish to understand the song’s powerful message. The track is hauntingly delightful, although they sing about heartbreak, the beautiful Spanish melodies mesmerise listeners into a blissful state of calm. Eilish and ROSALÍA are seemingly made for each other. Strikingly both women are able to challenge, whilst also complimenting, one another through their powerful yet subtle vocals. 

The subdued pace of the song heightens the melancholic atmosphere of the lyrics, ‘Un día soy un dios y al otro puedo partirme’ (‘One day I’m a god and the next I can break’). The ballad is a contrast to the artists’ previously energetic pieces, filled with reverb-heavy synths and the duo’s wistful harmonies. Their vocals blend into one another throughout the tune, truly encapsulating the raw nature of their emotions and dedication to their craft.

Although it lacks a climax, the track is elegantly done and is exquisitely captivating in its use of both English and Spanish. Undoubtedly, ‘Lo Vas A Olvidar’ was not written with the intention of becoming a trending hit, however, it speaks to listeners in a different way in which each individual may have their own unique emotional response – it will leave you spellbound for its entire duration. Eilish and ROSALÍA have outdone themselves with this track and have set the bar high for any possible collaborations to come in the future. 

Lo Vas A Olvidar’ is available now via Interscope Records

You Might Also Like

Single Review: Years & Years – It’s A Sin

Redbrick Music’s Ultimate Love and Breakup Songs

EP Review: Alexandra Rose – Alexandra Rose EP