Jesy Nelson’s debut single lacks any substance or meaning, Digital Editor Tamzin Meyer reviews

Redbrick Digital Editor

Content Warning: mentions of racism

There has been a lot of controversy over Jesy Nelson’s debut as a solo artist recently. She has been accused of blackfishing and has also caused upset amongst Little Mix fans over a recent Instagram Live video with Nicki Minaj in which the pair were seen to both aim cruelty towards former band member Leigh-Anne Pinnock. Unfortunately, her new single ‘Boyz’ just adds fuel to the fire and does very little to paint Nelson in a positive light. 

Before even listening to the song, the title itself does well to sum up the direction in which the next 3 minutes are going to go. Adding a ‘z’ to the title is presumably Nelson’s attempt at being edgy, with the track highlighting how desperate Nelson is to present herself as just that – a self-proclaimed ‘baddie.’ There is no denying that ‘Boyz’ gives off strong RnB vibes – this being something that Nelson has a strong passion for – but the lyrics themselves lack any sort of substance and meaning. Presumably the focus was to make a potential chart topping hit that had a catchy chorus rather than one that would be relatable to fans – if that was the case then Nelson may have succeeded.

Whilst the media has been quick to comment on Nelson’s new appearance, it seems that her new found style is not the only thing that has changed. Her vocals are almost unrecognisable; Nelson used to be known for her powerful vocals, being the shining star of any Little Mix ballad yet ‘Boyz’ sees her use strained vocals that are far from British, with lyrics that are difficult to understand clearly. Other than the very repetitive chorus which is cringey at the best of times, Nelson could literally be saying anything for the rest of the song.

the whole song seems somewhat forced as if it is following a checklist for what makes a successful hit

Minaj and Nelson’s tones however do bounce off each other, complimenting each other’s vocal style well; Minaj’s contribution to the song really does add a much needed layer with her rap being the highlight of the song. Minaj does what she does best but unfortunately overpowers Nelson, with her lyrics attempting to gel the song together.

It is rather upsetting for fans of Nelson to see her change into someone so unrecognisable. As she stated that ‘Boyz’ resembles the type of music she was creating before her time in Little Mix, fans can only question whether she is being true to herself or trying to be somebody she is not. The lyrics are far from authentic; as Nelson sings ‘I like a bad, bad boy’ fans are reminded of her previous exes. Love Island’s Chris Hughes was far from the stereotypical ‘bad’ boy that Nelson is so supposedly drawn to. 

The whole song seems somewhat forced as if it is following a checklist for what makes a successful hit. She is certainly not the first to do this and will not be the last; industry pressure often makes artists feel like they have to make a certain type of music in order to become ‘popular.’ The unnatural nature of the song is accompanied by a very controversial music video that takes on a damaging view of black culture viewing it as gangsta and ‘bad.’ As Nelson goes in the ‘hood,’ she is inspired by black fashion, wearing a braided wig that is threaded with beads. This accompanied by a very dark tan that does wonders to support the claims of ‘blackfishing.’ It is one thing to admire black culture but when an obviously white artist tries to do everything in her power to look black and use traditionally black language, then there comes a point when they are just blatantly insensitive. Nelson’s incorporation of black culture into her own identity dismisses the hardships and racism black people face on a daily basis. The idea that white people can choose to adopt the ‘admirable’ parts of black culture yet can revert back to their own race whenever they feel like it is damaging; it fails to appreciate how black people cannot simply flick a switch to change their identity and have to struggle with being subject to a racism that white people will never truly understand.

the lyrics and music video are not admirable or inspirational in the slightest

Not only is the song extremely racially insensitive it also does not paint women in the best of lights. The song implies that women need men and cannot function without them – a very unprogressive depiction of women. Nelson can be seen licking a lollipop in order to get a man’s attention which is sickening to watch and makes my skin crawl at the thought that young girls who look up to Nelson may start getting ideas of women having to act in a somewhat ‘sexual’ way just to please men. Little Mix did so much in making girls and women realise their own worth yet Nelson seems to be backtracking on everything she previously sung about, forgetting her own self-worth as a woman just because a man catches her eye, making her ‘weak in the knees.’ Girl power seems to have been disregarded completely; clearly Nelson has had enough of ‘jelly b*tches’ (a questionable dig at Nelson’s former bandmates.)

‘Boyz’ has mild potential; its catchy yet basic chorus may help it make its way up the charts, with Minaj’s rap becoming the star of the show. However, with Nelson previously being a role-model for young girls, the lyrics and music video are not admirable or inspirational in the slightest, despite Nelson promising that it was not her intention to offend anyone. It is fair to say that Nelson has certainly done her job in making herself known as a solo artist but rather for the wrong reasons.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You Might Also Like:

Live Review: The Snuts

Essential Album: Loyle Carner – Not Waving, But Drowning

Album Review: Sam Fender – Seventeen Going Under