Culture Writer Nicole Haynes takes us through Mythology and the Classics and how they can be educational as well as entertaining for readers

Venturing into the ancient world can be a daunting adventure, especially if your experience of Greek and Roman myths is limited to fantasy books and children’s films (although Disney’s Hercules is a perfect place to start, if I do say so myself). Due to the complex nature of mythology- its development through word-of-mouth storytelling and the nuanced differences based on its Greek or Latin translation- delving into the mythical world can be overwhelming.

However, you do not need to sit through a two-hour lecture on Homer’s Iliad in order to gain an understanding of the realm of Zeus and Athena. In fact, many of the original sources on mythology overlook and undervalue female figures, an aspect of the stories that may defer some readers. These following recommendations offer readers bite-sized gateways into the world of the gods, re-imagined through contemporary writer’s eyes and with a mindfulness to female experiences.

These following recommendations offer readers bite-sized gateways into the world of the gods

Like most parts of western history, mythology reflects and incorporates the patriarchal attitudes of its society- in this case, the ancient Greeks and Romans. Contemporary writers are tackling this by producing feminist re-tellings of the ancient myths.

Two works I recommend are Charlotte Higgins’ Greek Myths and Natalie Haynes’ Pandora’s Jar. These modern accounts shift the focus onto female characters and provide a relevant commentary on feminine experience in the western world. Higgins’ work is beautifully illustrated by Chris Ofili, who offers a wonderful reading experience through his contemporary depictions of ancient goddesses and events. Pandora’s Jar delves into the lives of mythological women by putting side-lined characters at the forefront- exposing their strengths, and flaws, through subversive prose. These texts are an excellent starting point for a mythological newbie. The writer’s classical expertise and digestible prose provides a highly enjoyable reading experience.

These texts are an excellent starting point for a mythological newbie

As a classics teacher and classics enthusiast, Madeline Miller also provides perceptive insights into the minds of mythological figures. Her thoughtful story-telling and first-person narration is prevalent in both her novels: The Song of Achilles and Circe. Perhaps the most popular contemporary writer of ancient myth, her works have captured the minds and hearts of modern readers. Her exploration of queer relationships, female oppression and identity resonates with readers from all walks of life.

The Song of Achilles follows the life of Patroclus, Achilles’ “companion” and lover. Miller retells the Iliad by focusing on the anxious realities of first love, within the epic setting of the Trojan War. Similarly, in Circe, Miller brings to life the infamous witch from the Odyssey and makes her character compelling and multi-faceted. The novel challenges the conventions of traditional masculine epic and instead focuses on the dynamic and powerful female protagonist, Circe. Miller’s work is compulsively readable and provides a passionate insight into human experience, and the world of the gods.

These works relate the magic of the ancient world to modern life, bridging the gap between myth and reality

Albeit not a book, Liv Albert’s podcast ‘Let’s Talk About Myths Baby!’ is a fantastic tool for learning about ancient tales. Liv’s warm personality and succinct storytelling provides an entertaining and easy listening experience, whilst enabling her listeners to learn about different aspects of mythology. Her sense of humour shines through each episode, where she covers mythological tales and ancient plays with glorious wit. She finds connections between modern life and ancient myth, inviting listeners to reflect on contemporary societies attitudes, as well as the acts of the ancient gods and heroes.

Of course, this list could be endless. However, these are my initial recommendations for those interested in getting into mythology. These works relate the magic of the ancient world to modern life, bridging the gap between myth and reality. Not only will these books help a reader to understand classics and mythology but will also give individuals a priceless insight into contemporary attitudes. Mythology allows readers to learn just as much about the modern world, as it does the ancient.

Enjoyed this? Read more from Redbrick Culture here! 

So You Wanna Get Into Sapphic Fantasy: A Beginner’s Guide

Book Review: Heartstopper

Book Review: The Midnight Library