Culture Writer Halima Ahad takes us through the books that have made the greatest impact on her life, from series that got her into reading again to the book that helped her through tough times

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3

The book series which got me into reading 

I first came across the Harry Potter series during the middle of my time at secondary school. I would borrow the books from my friend and take them home to read every night. The novels follow Harry Potter, an orphan whose parents sadly die at the hands of evil Lord Voldemort, who is introduced to the magical world of witches and wizards and has the chance to go to the wizarding school Hogwarts. I fell in love so much with the worldbuilding and the fantasy of the Harry Potter world. I could easily escape into the books every night and forget the worries and stresses of school. The characters equally solidified my love for the series further. The series has been a part of my life greatly, I have even had the chance to go to the Harry Potter studios tour in London which was absolutely amazing. I am very thankful to J.K Rowling for writing these books which got me into reading in the first place.

I fell in love so much with the worldbuilding and the fantasy

An author who I enjoyed during my time at secondary school

During my time at secondary school, I participated in AR (Accelerated Reader) which is a guided independent reading programme that motivates students to read for pleasure. It monitors reading practice and we were given a level which our reading abilities were set at. I came across the Chocolate Box Girls series during my early years of secondary school. I cannot remember much about the book today but I loved the main character of Coco Caramel. The novel follows Coco, who is crazy about animals and loves her riding lessons. However, her favourite horse is sold and it is up to Coco to save Caramel alone. This book will always be nostalgic for me and will be a memory of what I used to get up to during my secondary school days. 

This book will always be nostalgic for me and will be a memory of what I used to get up to during my secondary school days

The book series which got me back into reading 

During lockdown last year, I was very bored and did not know how to spend my time other than studying and reading the set books which were on my A level course. I had been in a very bad reading slump for months, since the beginning of my GCSEs, and I fell out of love with reading since I was so used to analysing the words rather than enjoying and taking the words in for pleasure. Until my best friend recommended The Selection series. It was an introductory series I read which got me into the YA genre and I am so thankful that she recommended these books otherwise I would have never gotten into the YA genre. The novels follow America Singer, who is given the opportunity to escape her mundane and poor life as a citizen of Illéa, and compete with other girls to win the heart of Prince Maxon.

I was so used to analysing the words rather than enjoying and taking the words in for pleasure… Until my best friend recommended The Selection series

A book which I found to be thought-provoking and interesting 

During my first semester at UoB, I was given a reading list of the many books I would be studying in the Prose module. I was looking forward to one in particular, Untouchable by Mulk Raj Anand. When I first read the novel, I enjoyed it so much as it was so different to what I was told to study before in my GCSEs and A levels. The diversity of the characters pleased me so much and it raised a conversation about the many social issues that are still important to this day in South Asia, particularly the inequality of the caste system in India. The novel follows Bakha, a young man who is an outcast in India’s caste system. It follows a day in his life, as a sweeper and toilet cleaner, and follows his philosophical journey into what it means for him to be who he is in society in the present day.

It raised a conversation about the many social issues […] particularly the inequality of the caste system in India

The books which helped me get through tough times 

Self-help books have helped me so much recently. I have had a rough journey with my mental health these past few months and reading self-help books have helped me understand my condition with much greater meaning. Celebrities, in particular, have had numerous mental health journeys and reading these books have helped me understand that even famous people have their dark days. One book I have loved recently is Open by Frankie Bridge. Open charts Frankie’s mental health journey, part narrative exploration and part guide, and how it is important to talk and help one another out. It is a very simple word but very hard to put into practice and the book helps people understand the importance of talking out and helping each other.

Reading self-help books have helped me understand my condition with much greater meaning

Trigger warnings for Open: contains anxiety, depression, eating disorder, hospitalisation and suicide 

These are the books that have impacted my life the most. I am so grateful for these books because they have shaped the person that I am today. I do hope to read more books in the future which will shape who I am further. 

Enjoyed This? Read more from Redbrick Culture here!

Book Review: Words of War

Statue Sparks Controversy in Italy for Being Sexist

Author Spotlight: Hafsah Faisal