Life&Style’s Abigail Tate examines the harmful diet and exercise culture which has sprung from the pressures of lockdown

2nd year BA English.

A simple search of ‘how to lose the quarantine weight’ amasses millions of results on Google. But a search as to why encouraging this ‘post-quarantine diet’ may be harmful, results in significantly less. This speaks directly to the societal expectations placed upon us, and the suggestion that validity and worth is defined by appearance. Whilst concerns with body image are universal, women especially fall victim to the high standards implemented by the patriarchy. In particular, the ideology that everything is secondary to appearance, and that subversions to what traditionally appeals to the male gaze should be combatted. These can be especially dangerous standards to uphold during a time when being active is extremely difficult.

Influencers and companies are encouraging a toxic ethos of dieting and workout culture

In response to fears that lockdown will lead to weight gain, influencers and companies are encouraging a toxic ethos of dieting and workout culture. Subsequently, the imagery of weight loss has become omnipresent on social media platforms. Influencers and companies are encouraging this, however, not for wellbeing, but for profit. This evokes a corporatized version of body positivity at the expense of those already struggling during unprecedented times.

Over the course of each lockdown, many of my friends have expressed concerns regarding weight gain. They have become significantly more vocal about this as activity has become hindered due to colder weather and darker days. Many of these are friends who, pre-pandemic, had never previously expressed these fears to me. This highlights the toxic impact the pandemic has had on our perception of self. Rather than displaying compassion and self-love during such an emotionally distressing time, concerns and feelings of invalidity have arisen due to the pressure to exercise.

Our productivity levels are questioned if we do not utilise lockdown to achieve new fitness goals

Companies and influencers have fed into this, sharing a multitude of absurd and potentially harmful diets, detoxes and fitness regimes to encourage us to use lockdown as an opportunity to lose weight and get fit. It seems as if our productivity levels are questioned if we do not utilise lockdown to achieve new fitness goals. Jess, a second-year student, commented on this increased necessity to display productivity. She said: ‘I don’t understand why the standards of ‘doing well’ have gotten so high…I feel like I have to start some crazy fitness journey during a time when I don’t feel motivated at all.’ It seems that you are expected to use lockdown to better yourself physically, otherwise you have failed. This results in a collective sense of panic, perpetuating society’s sinister notion that being slim is representative of doing well and being healthy.

It is important to address that exercise and lifestyle changes are not inherently wrong, but it is vital to differentiate between the purposes of this. It may be for health and genuine happiness, or for aesthetic purposes, or to align with the standards set by society of what should be achieved during lockdown. We may adapt to this intense new set of circumstances by finding enjoyment in home workouts and eating healthier, or it may be through cooking a nice meal or ordering food with your family. Each is valid and whatever brings enjoyment during an especially vulnerable time needs to be celebrated. Mundanity should be just as visible as displays of productivity, because this is just as realistic and vital to combating the world of lockdown.

It is vital to follow people who are more than just their bodies and appearance

Jameela Jamil’s @I_weigh account on Instagram is a direct response to this harmful weight loss culture which has been further perpetuated by the pandemic. It celebrates radical inclusivity and self-care through means outside of body image. It is vital to follow people who are more than just their bodies and appearance. As a collective, we need to encourage the rhetoric of kindness, not just to those around us by being mindful of what we say, but mostly to ourselves.

Instagram accounts to follow like @I_weigh:

@antidietriotclub

@wellnesswithsoph

@kee_mon

@madwomxnmagazine

@ninamontagne

@tiffbaira

@lexie

@yasminmoonmoon

Read more from Life&Style:

Dating Apps During Covid-19: Love at First Click?

Maisie Smith: A Strictly Curse on Confident Women?

Self-Care: Winter Edition