Comment Writer, Thomas Barry reflects on Ed Miliband’s book, ‘Go Big: How to Fix Our World’ and considers whether Miliband’s vision for a greener planet is achievable in the near future

Written by Thomas Barry
History student at the University of Birmingham

‘Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice – stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband’.

David Cameron’s tweet in the lead up to 2015’s election day is perhaps one of the most interesting political tweets in the last decade to look back on; not only was it highly ironic for the then-prime minister to unleash Brexit, one of the most divisive political issues in British history, but it also marks just how much Ed Miliband himself has changed.

In his 2021 volume, Go Big, Ed Miliband provides a judicious examination using pragmatism to create an argument that is both captivating and thought-provoking. Miliband’s book is introduced as not intending to be party political nor an ideological defence, but instead as a text to inspire solutions to some of the world’s problems. Any criticism one can have with socialism, primarily that of its irrational optimism, is entirely irrelevant simply because the solutions he provides are based on the successes of other countries’ reforms – namely Iceland, Finland, New Zealand and Alaska – which are reinforced further by experts whom he commends in his “Acknowledgments” chapter. It is therefore a work that is not only practical for the politician, (who should act as a ‘gardener’; to nurture and inspire, to be inventive and experimental with change) but also for anyone determined to make a positive contribution.

Imagine a world in which the liberal idea of meritocracy actually worked, enabling those with the will to succeed to do so

Go Big will transform most reader’s opinions of Ed Miliband for the better. Gone is the Leader of the Labour Party whose fate was toasted by his technique in consuming a bacon sandwich on camera, to a Parliamentarian invigorated with charisma, optimism and realistic arguments for radical change fuelled by empiricism. It is a shift that not only made me question why the Labour Party itself cannot be like this – with an eagerness for radical reform to fix society’s faults and improve Britain, instead of obstructive internal squabbling – but also raised questions about why that shouldn’t also be the case for the world more generally. Imagine a world in which the liberal ideal of meritocracy actually worked, enabling those with the will to succeed to do so. Considering the shocking, yet unfortunately believable, poll conducted by Gallup in 2017 concluding that that 85% of adults dislike their jobs; would it not be brilliant if we could end such despondency to work and create a global economy that enables passion to be translated into careers – not only would it make the world more productive, but would also make our planet richer on a far deeper level than just base economics. These examples are just some of the objectives that require the rational optimism that Miliband advocates which could realistically yield benefits for individuals, society and the economy. 

The power of a positive vision, then, in my eyes is an ideal which should be incorporated on multiple levels. It is especially important when considering the increasing issue of polarisation across the world with many of us becoming isolated in self-contained bubbles of narrowmindedness, fuelling ignorance (and by consequence a disdain) of alternative views and strategies, which has obvious implications (such as the January Capitol riots earlier this year). To bring people back together in unity it is vital to have a shared positive vision, and for humanity there is no clearer vision to get behind than tackling climate change.

From what I have read and witnessed, the reversal of climate change has been a mishandled opportunity. For decades, ecologists and activists have stressed the dangers of the world’s carbon emissions, waste and general pollution leading to irreversible Armageddon. This direction has inevitably been resoundingly ineffective in altering the course of climate change, something Miliband himself argues, as people do not care about catastrophes occurring centuries in the future when they have their own problems to contend with. Instead, the conversation surrounding the climate crisis should have always been targeted with one key word: opportunity. Think about it: how amazing would it be if we could utilise something as negative as the end of the world and create something incredibly positive with it? We have all seen the drawings of the future with flying cars, holographic devices and great skyscrapers beaming with renewable energy. We scoff at the seeming impossibility of it all yet dream of its existence, so why don’t we simply begin that process? Fortunately, such moves are already happening: such as the Green New Deal, green technological innovation and new job opportunities. If only we started this sooner, imagine where we would be right now.

Of course to some, the ideas I am echoing from Go Big may appear naïve to people’s willingness to join in with the positive vision of improving our planet simply because too many are too apathetic, selfish and egotistical to make cooperative progress. However, what I believe makes this ideal more effective than others, namely the more radical branches of socialism, is that it applies to each and everyone’s self-interest; everyone will get out what they put in, with individuals’ effort, innovations, and creativity being recognised and rewarded. Like with climate change, we can utilise negativity and use it to fuel meaningful progress. This ideal does not force people to change, it simply enables people to fulfil their potential in their own unique way which has benefits for others by extension – a win-win scenario.

We can utilise negativity and use it to fuel meaningful progress

Ultimately, Ed Miliband’s Go Big is a text that acts as a baseline for what we should strive towards, and while it does not provide a utopian manifesto, it shows how change can be driven through rational optimism to make a better world. It is an ideal that any reader, no matter their party allegiance or ideological standpoint, can support with confidence. Moreover, our history has been pretty grim on the whole, but that does not mean a great, vivid future is unfeasible. The path that lies ahead is not pre-written and if we utilise the power of a positive vision pragmatically then perhaps we can achieve a life for ourselves (and others) that once appeared to be impossible.

If you liked this, you might enjoy these from comment:

The Mental Toll of COVID-19: Why the Government Have Failed to Deliver on Children’s Mental Health

Body Positivity on Instagram: The Condescending Side

StudyTube Promotes Toxic Productivity and Most Students Cannot Keep Up