Culture Writer Charis Gambon reviews Shawshank Redemption and finds the theatre adaptation was exceptionally written.

Written by charisGambon

Shawshank Redemption is a piece of literature and cinema that many hold dear, and with good reason. It is exceptionally written, and the version for this play was no exception. When watching this production at The Alexandra Theatre, the audience are truly able to feel that they are part of Shawshank. 

Whilst, the performance did skim past certain moments and details that had been in the book and film, the theatre production was by no means lacking. All vital elements were shown superbly, and the characters added depth to the performance. The production throughout was engaging and entertaining.

All vital elements were shown superbly, and the characters added depth to the performance

Designer Gary McCann created a phenomenal prison set for the performance of Shawshank Redemption. Set can make or break a piece and the design by McCann certainly hit the nail on the head. It was easy for the audience to believe that they were within the dirty, old Shawshank prison. The set was certainly not beautiful but that is what made it superb.

Just as in all other versions of Shawshank Redemption, significant portions of time are skipped. Within the show, this passing of time was demonstrated exceptionally well through music from those years, with hits such as Cash’s Folsom ‘Prison Blues’, and Elvis’s ‘Jailhouse Rock’. The piece was performed with a keen eye to the tragedy, elation, hope and comedy that Stephen King intended. With Red’s reactions especially offering humour throughout.

Joe Absolom portrays Andy in a much less calculating way than Tim Robbin’s portrayal. Yet, the sinister undertone and lack of innocence of Andy is still very much apparent, especially when confronting the warden about the possibility of Elmo Blatch. Mark Heenehan’s warden Stammas is once again the infamous hypocrite that Stammas should be. He preaches the bible and is a horrifyingly intolerant tyrant. Andy at one point is forced to improvise a grace, and his version discusses “breaking chains” and “freedom” from our masters, which does not go unnoticed by the ruthless Hadley. Andy’s work for the warden is much more of a point of contention than in the film, with Red acknowledging both sides (cons and guards) just as he does with his black market. However, Andy is accused of “putting both feet on their side of the fence” and being somewhat of a traitor to the other cons, which helps foreshadow Andy’s escape.

The performance of Shawshank Redemption could not be faulted in any way.

The performance of Shawshank Redemption could not be faulted in any way. Every aspect was superbly crafted and chosen. It was easy for the audience to believe that they were in another time period within another country. I would highly recommend going to see this rendition of Shawshank Redemption, especially if you have any interest in history, classics or the past justice system.

Enjoyed this? Read more Redbrick Culture here 

Theatre Review: A Christmas Carol

Theatre Review: The Mousetrap

Theatre Review: She’s Royal