The University of Birmingham will not be opening any of its sport facilities before the end of the month

Written by Kit Shepard

The Sport and Fitness Club has been closed since 20th March due to the coronavirus pandemic, with 1st June being cited as the earliest possible date for re-opening at the time.

However, in an email to students last Monday, UB Sport announced that ‘due to UK Government guidelines and the University’s own phased plan to lift lockdown measures, we do not expect to be opening any of our indoor or outdoor facilities in June.’

Another update will be given to students before July.

Given the virus’ potency indoors and the crowded nature of gyms and fitness classes, leisure centres are set to remain closed for the foreseeable future.

The very earliest they could re-open is 4th July, when the government plans to begin ‘phase three’ of exiting lockdown.

In the meantime, UB Sport are devising measures that will maintain social distancing once they can open their doors again. These include ‘new walking routes through the building, new booking systems and other welfare measures such as screens and sanitising stations.’

Those returning will have their memberships rolled forward

Though government restrictions on outdoor sports have started to be eased, the university remains wary of opening facilities such as tennis courts too soon, stating that they ‘must take the appropriate measures for re-opening campus safely for all its users.’

A UB Sport representative told Redbrick ‘As soon as a plan is in place to enable a safe, socially distanced, and hygienic re-opening, this will be communicated.’

Regarding student memberships, UB Sport ‘will be back in touch with [students] shortly with information about your membership fees and next steps.’

Nevertheless, Guild Sports Officer Josh Dooler told Redbrick that ‘those returning will have their memberships rolled forward.’

Many students purchased memberships for a full year last September, meaning some sort of compensation is expected.

Explaining why no concrete decision has been announced yet, Dooler said that the presence of ‘so many different membership types and situations for students’ has made finding a refunding policy challenging.

Following the launching of the Tiverton Gym last September, students had 12 different membership options to choose from.

UB Sport told Redbrick: ‘we would like to thank our members for their patience and understanding, and we will be in touch directly regarding memberships.’