News Editor Charlie O’Keeffe reports on this year’s ValeFest being cancelled

Written by Charlie O'Keeffe

This year’s ValeFest has been cancelled. ValeFest, the largest student-run charity Festival in Europe, has been running for almost 20 years. The Instagram post explained that 2023 was ‘set to be a record-breaking year’. 

The statement from the ValeFest Instagram account said that ‘The Guild has refused to authorise the only ValeFest model that we would wish to deliver’. They expressed their thanks to all acts, sponsors, stalls, caterers, and those who had bought tickets. They also described feeling ‘devastated’ by the announcement that ValeFest 2023 has had to be cancelled. 

They explained that they were advised by the Guild ‘at extremely late notice’ that a month prior to the event they had to have sold 80% of tickets in order for the Guild to agree to sign the contracts with the acts due to perform. As a result of this rule, they were unable to release the line-up which they said they ‘know would have encouraged ticket sales’. They described how the committee was under ‘significant pressure’ to promote the event as much as possible because of the ticket sale quota, something they pointed out as an issue since it is ‘the busiest time of the academic year’.

They said the Guild gave them the option to reschedule for September, but this would have meant reorganising the entire festival during the summer break

They said that they are ‘not sure what this means for future editions of ValeFest’. People will receive refunds for all ticket and t-shirt sales as soon as possible.  

Redbrick reached out to the ValeFest committee who elaborated on what was meant by ‘the only ValeFest model that we would wish to deliver’. They said the Guild gave them the option to reschedule for September, but this would have meant reorganising the entire festival during the summer break. This was something they said they ‘did not deem fair or reasonable.’ 

ValeFest committee also said that they ‘had already worked through a possible ValeFest model that required less infrastructure’, but that this too was rejected by the Guild. 

The Guild statement said that ‘We are extremely saddened to confirm that ValeFest is no longer going ahead this year.’ They said that the reason for cancelling it was due to ‘the financial viability of the event.’ They did say that they will try to ‘ensure the financial sustainability of the event, and work to see ValeFest return in 2024.’ 

We asked a student about his opinion on the cancellation of ValeFest. Alfie Webb is a member of Watch This Improvabunga, and would have been performing at ValeFest. He said that: ‘If this was the only thing that had gone wrong under the guild’s watch this year, I might be able to believe that “external factors” were to blame. But since September it’s been one shambles after another.’

They said that the reason for cancelling it was due to ‘the financial viability of the event’

‘It’s not just about the big disasters like the whole external members fiasco – it’s the infuriating day to day experience of volunteering for a society committee when half your job is always fighting against the Guild.’

‘It’s really disappointing that a charitable organisation which should exist to serve students is instead, whether through incompetence or negligence, a genuine obstacle to many groups’ activities.’

Redbrick reached out to the Guild for comment and they said:

‘When Valefest started selling tickets for the event it became apparent that the event was likely to incur a significant loss. Valefest needed to sell 2,500 tickets in order to achieve their budget, but were forecasted to sell 1,400. The Guild worked with Valefest to try to save costs and increase their sales, but sadly these efforts were not sufficient and the event was projected to lose around £14k. As a charity, the Guild needs to manage and use its funds responsibly, and allowing such a significant loss on an event would not have been responsible, or in line with how the Guild supports student groups.

The Guild has long history of supporting many Valefest Committees over the years to deliver successful events, and often seeing over 4,000 tickets sold. The Guild staff team have supported with significant advice and guidance and we are saddened that this year’s event was not able to go ahead.

Moving forward the Guild will work closely with the Valefest Team to ensure the financial sustainability of the event, and work to see the return of Valefest in 2024.’

Read more news here:

West Midlands Police Urged to Apologise Over Past Homophobia

University Challenge Accused of Bias Towards Oxbridge and Elite Universities 

UCU Renew Strike Mandate