Culture Writer Jess Rushton reports on the cancellation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical Cinderella, resulting in cast members realising they had lost their jobs over social media

Written by Jess Rushton

When I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella in March 2022, I was blown away. From the cast to the music, set, and staging, the entire production was beautiful, and I immediately booked tickets to see it again at the end of May. Thankfully I did, as yesterday it was announced that the show will be closing, and the last performance is June 12th, 2022.

The current cast and crew were informed [of the cancellation] merely hours before the news was announced online…

It is always tragic to hear of a closing show, especially one that has been open for less than a year. However, this barely scratches the surface of the hurt and disregard Webber and his company have given to the current cast and creative team, as well as the new cast who were due to be starting rehearsals soon for the cast change in July.

While the current cast and crew were informed merely hours before the news was announced online, the soon-to-be cast were given no such notice and found out the same way as I did, via Twitter. In any other industry, it would be deemed unacceptable, and impossible, to find out your future job has been cancelled on social media, but unfortunately, for actors in theatre, this is a regular occurrence.

…The soon-to-be cast […] found out […] via twitter

Carrie Hope Fletcher, who plays the titular character, was absent from the show on Sunday and shared on her Instagram Live that she ‘was only informed via other cast members … I had no official call from the company to let me know before it was posted online’. For someone who has done so much for the show and with such outstanding talent, it seems almost unbelievable that she should also have to find out her job has been cut short in this way.

The current cast were not due to finish their run until July, and so have now essentially been given six weeks to find further employment. The same goes for the cast set to join the show. Summer Strallen, who was due to take the role of The Queen, stated on an Instagram live that she had had this job booked for two months, and had turned down other roles in order to take it. A yearlong contract has been pulled away from everyone due to join, and they were given no time or privacy to deal with the news before it was shared with the public.

In any other industry, it would be deemed unacceptable, and impossible, to find out your future job has been cancelled on social media

The news has undoubtedly had devastating effects on so many performers and creatives and has called into question, not for the first time, Webber’s integrity, and respect for his casts. Social media should never be the method of communication used to tell someone a job is no longer available and shows how little he regards those who make his shows come to life. Baz Bamigboye tweeted ‘Closure was finalised weeks ago. Cast could have been told days ago’, and they should have been given that courtesy. 

This situation has shown how little legal protection and labour rights there are for musical theatre performers. This would never happen in another industry, and when a similar situation occurred with P&O recently an investigation was conducted to ensure changes are made to prevent it from happening again.

My heart goes out to everyone that has been affected by this closure and I wish them the best in their future endeavours. 

Enjoyed This? Read more from Redbrick here!

Pantomime Review: Tinder-Ella

Theatre Review: School of Rock

Film Review: Cinderella