Print & Features Editor Jess Parker gives an overview of the upcoming ‘Jurassic World 4’

Ex Print & Features Editor and Film Editor. MA Film and Television: Research and Production student.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Universal Pictures has begun production on their latest Jurassic World venture, with director Gareth Edwards and writer David Koepp on board. The fourth entry in the Jurassic World series is slated for release next summer, 2 July 2025.

Having lost initial director David Leitch of John Wick (2014) and Bullet Train (2022) in February 2024, Gareth Edwards stepped in to helm the highly-anticipated project. Famed for films such as Godzilla (2014) and The Creator (2023), Edward’s creature-focused eye might be a blessing in disguise for the upcoming sequel. Alongside Koepp, who is credited as a screenwriter for both 1993’s Jurassic Park and 1997’s Jurassic Park: The Lost World, die-hard fans of the franchise might be hoping for a return to form from this upcoming iterationThe upcoming feature will introduce the franchise to a new era of dino-based mayhem, featuring a new cast of heroes and foes, most likely traversing a hostile landscape of their own design once more.

Jurassic World’s Declining Audience and Critical Reception

This fourth Jurassic World film comes at a time when general opinions towards the series are unfortunately unfavourable. The first film in the revamped series, Jurassic World (2015), saw reasonable critical success, with a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 71% and a generally satisfied response from Jurassic Park fans. At the time of writing, 2018’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is the second most expensive film ever made, with a budget of $432 million, narrowly missing the top spot behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ (2015) staggering budget of $447 million. Although the film grossed over $1.3 billion worldwide, many criticized the film, with it receiving 48% on Rotten Tomatoes. The trilogy’s critical decline was cemented with Jurassic World: Dominion’s (2022) disappointing critical reception, receiving a Rotten Tomatoes score of 29%.

Universal Pictures is venturing into unknown territory in the series’ fourth entry, hiring a new director, screenwriter, and entirely fresh cast in hopes of revitalizing Jurassic World’s dwindling acclaim in the monster-movie canon. With the film’s narrative currently under wraps, only time will tell how this new era of Jurassic World will play out for fans of the franchise, old and new.

Jurassic World is available to purchase on Blu-ray, DVD and digital streaming platforms. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Jurassic World: Dominion are currently available to stream on Netflix.

Enjoyed reading this article? Check out these recent articles from Redbrick Film:

In Defence of: Hollywood | Redbrick Film

A Feminist Response to Barbie | Redbrick Film

Is Cinema Becoming Oversaturated with Biopics? | Redbrick Film