Sports Writer Will Rogers provides a gripping review of the latest ‘Strongest Man Competition’ resulting in a Scottish success for the first time ever.

Hi! I'm Will. I'm a fourth year history of warfare student at the University of Birmingham. My main hobbies are playing squash and dodgeball and I also enjoy reading about history, geography and sport.

For the 44th edition of the World’s Strongest Man contest, 25 athletes from 11 countries headed to Sacramento in the Golden State to crown the champion. Following five brutal days of competition under the California sun and temperatures topping 40oC, the Scottish giant, Tom Stoltman, came out on top to capture his first title.

Stoltman became the fifth Brit, and first Scot, to capture the title. At just 27-years-old many believe that his best days are still ahead of him. Following five tough groups and six gruelling events in the final, Stoltman won the final by three points. This was to fulfil a promise made to his late mother, who passed away in 2017, that he would be the World’s Strongest Man champion one day.

During the heat stage, four-time champion Brian Shaw comfortably qualified, alongside perennial finalist JF Caron and the “Georgian Bull”, Konstantine Janashia. The British contingent had a successful qualification, with Tom Stoltman, his brother Luke and Adam Bishop all qualifying for the final. However, there was no place for the timeless Mark Felix, unable to make the final, 17 years after his first performance at the competition. There was a major upset as reigning champion Oleksii Novikov came fourth in a tough group, thus not qualifying for the final, only the third time that the reigning champion has not emerged from his group.

Under the California sun, in front of a large group of fans, with California relaxing its Covid laws on 15th June, Stoltman faced a strong field in conditions that differed greatly from his home in the Scottish Highlands. Tom Stoltman, who has openly talked about his lifelong struggle with autism, was supported by his father and his older brother Luke, who formed the other half of the only fraternal duo to ever compete together in the final. With some of the big names not competing, due to retirement or injury, the stage was set for Brian Shaw to win a record-equalling fifth title or a new champion to emerge.

Stoltman faced a strong field in conditions that differed greatly from his home in the Scottish Highlands

The final began with a giant’s medley, with a combination of a 440kg yoke and 350kg frame, testing the finalists speed and grip strength, with Tom Stoltman dominating the field to win the opening event.

Stoltman continued his success in the Titan’s turntable, with the athletes having to push a 30-tonne train around a 30m course. This almost superhuman event was new to the competition, yet the athletes adapted quickly, with six athletes finishing within five seconds of each other. However, it was Stoltman who dominated the field, opening up a seven-point lead after two events, a record-breaking margin at this point. The Scot’s 175kg frame helped enormously in this event, with the classic strongman saying that ‘mass pulls mass’.

The final event of day one was the keg toss for maximum height, with Brian Shaw resetting his own world record to 7.75m. The 15kg keg did not massively divide the field, with five athletes drawing at 6.75m, and four athletes breaking the existing world record. Shaw won the event, yet was closely followed by Stoltman and Maxime Boudreault, meaning that the Scot had a 5.5-point lead at the end of day one.

Day two began with a max overhead log press where Stoltman again came out on top, yet this time it was Tom’s older brother Luke who put 215kg overhead. Tom struggled in his worst event in the final, coming in equal eighth, yet the American duo of Trey Mitchell and Bobby Thompson impressed, whilst Boudreault continued his podium push by breaking the Canadian record.

the American duo of Trey Mitchell and Bobby Thompson impressed, whilst Boudreault continued his podium push by breaking the Canadian record

The penultimate event was the classic strength test, just put to superhuman level, with a 350kg deadlift. The trio of Mitchell, JF Caron and Adam Bishop all aided their late charges, sharing the victory with ten repetitions. Yet the Stoltmans alongside Boudreault struggled, creating more tension for the final event. Going into the final event Tom Stoltman held a one-point lead over Brian Shaw. Leaving five men in with a genuine shot of claiming the third spot on the podium.

The competition, as always, ended with an Atlas stone run, with five stones ranging from 140-210 kg, testing the competitors at the end of a gruelling competition. Tom Stoltman, the world record holder in the event, won his third event and claimed his first title before falling to his knees and pointing to his mother in the sky. His brother Luke embraced him, having dropped a stone and fallen off the podium. Boudreault swept into third place, beaten by Shaw.

There is the legend versus newcomer rivalry that gains public attention

The World’s Strongest Man competition needs live footage to help its growth, yet with figures such as Shaw and Stoltman, there is the legend versus newcomer rivalry that gains public attention. Hopefully next year, two of the top athletes, Martins Licis and Mateusz Kieliszkowski will return and increase the competition. Yet the attention must remain on Tom Stoltman, the Scot who has overcome so much in his life has achieved his dream and completed his promise. A phenomenal achievement for Britain’s fifth World’s Strongest Man.

Like this? Check out more from Redbrick Sport:

What Went Wrong at Invades?

Ominous Signs for England after New Zealand Defeat

Sport That Stuck With Me