Music Editor Hannah Gadd attends Simple Minds’ Birmingham show, describing the tour as a ‘testament to their talents after almost fifty years in the business’

Images by Hannah Gadd

Simple Minds’ global tour landed in Birmingham last night for a particularly euphoric performance. The band have been on the road since late January and are set to tour right up to August. The band’s current six-piece line-up consists of Jim Kerr (vocals), Charlie Burchill (guitars, keyboards), Gordy Goudie (acoustic guitar), Ged Grimes (bass), Cherisse Osei (drums) and Sarah Brown (vocals).

The arena was pretty much full by the time support-act Del Amitri strutted on to the stage with an air of confidence. The band had masses of fans dotted around the arena sporting merchandise and singing along to every lyric. Their set was fuelled by strong riffs, an assured presence and tight musicianship. The band succeeded in building an exciting atmosphere for the rest of the night.

They waste no time in kicking into their huge track ‘Waterfront’, Kerr bounding around the stage with limitless energy

After a short while, the arena was submerged in darkness, stage lights flickering as the band took to the stage. Before being bathed in bright pink lights, front-man Jim Kerr exclaims ‘Come on Brum!’ from the dimmed stage. They waste no time in kicking into their huge track ‘Waterfront’, Kerr bounding around the stage with limitless energy. ‘I can already tell this is going to be a good one’, he comments as the song comes to end. 

The stage is a neon spectacle as they work their way through the next run of songs, the visuals transporting us into the tracks. From their huge synths and sparkling neon lights to band member’s Osei and Brown’s bedazzled outfits, the band took us to the 80s for two hours. After a stellar performance of ‘This Fear of Gods’, Kerr took a moment to introduce the band who must be applauded for their unrelenting enthusiasm and flawless skill. 

‘All the Things She Said’ followed, Simple Minds drawing their audience further into their bright, vivacious world

‘All the Things She Said’ followed, Simple Minds drawing their audience further into their bright, vivacious world. Vocalist Sarah Brown nailed her parts and captivated the arena with her impeccable stage presence. ‘Solstice Kiss’ was a contemporary gem, Kerr comically added to not worry if fans were wondering what that song was before thanking the fans that have been there since the early days. 

The next half of the stage was an unstoppable string of hits. ‘Once Upon a Time’ was electric and the vibes were reinforced by the dazzling ‘Glittering Prize’. By now we are fully immersed into Simple Minds’ radiant universe. Hands rose into the air without hesitation as the giant synths of ‘I Promised You a Miracle’ filled the arena, during which Kerr prompted many singalongs by pointing his microphone to the audience. 

Cherisse Osei embarked on a monstrous drum solo which had spectators transfixed on her remarkable talent

Following ‘New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)’, the band left the stage and Cherisse Osei embarked on a monstrous drum solo which had spectators transfixed on her remarkable talent. The band reappears, Kerr commenting ‘That’s what she calls girl power!’ eliciting cheers from the crowd. ‘Belfast Child’ is next and, whilst a change in pace, the intensity of their performance is not once lost. 

‘Someone Somewhere in Summertime’ propels us closer to the end of the main set with its sensational melodies. ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me)’ is inevitably a stand-out moment of the show, the energy in the arena was palpable as Kerr commanded the audience to sing the iconic ‘la-la-la-la’s for over two and a half minutes. The arena erupted as he finally continued with the song, impressively bent backwards on his knees while the audience danced along to the familiar track. 

Sanctify Yourself’ ended the fantastic night off on a great note, the whole arena celebrating a night of great live music

The band leave the stage, Sarah Brown reappearing to begin the encore with ‘Book of Brilliant Things’, a superb vocal display from the singer. ‘Alive and Kicking’ was immense, the band noticeably having fun playing their iconic tracks. ‘Sanctify Yourself’ ended the fantastic night off on a great note, the whole arena celebrating a night of great live music.

It’s clear, Simple Minds have stood the test of time and this tour is a testament to their talents after almost fifty years in the business.

Enjoyed this? You might also like…

Album Review: Olivia Rodrigo- GUTS (spilled)

Live Review: Yonaka

Single Review: FLO- Walk Like This