News writer Anna Constable reports on the Royal visit to Digbeth earlier in October.

Written by AnnaConstable

The Prince and Princess of Wales visited Digbeth earlier this month to attend a mental health forum for World Mental Health Day. 

One hundred young people were nominated to attend the event which aimed to explore how emotional understanding can lead to better mental wellbeing. The day witnessed the theme of Exploring Our Emotional Worlds and took place on World Mental Health Day, October 10th

The royals took an active role in the day, talking with the young people in attendance, participating in panel discussions and giving speeches. During the event, Catherine applauded how the younger generation ‘value and talk more about [their] mental health than any before [them]’. And also commended those who were having ‘brave’ conversations about mental health that day. 

‘You’ve got to look at the lighter things in life sometimes to feel good,’ said Prince William.

William also opened up about his own mental health during one of the panels. He discussed what he himself finds helpful when trying to maintain positive mental health. He put an emphasis on the importance of practical things such as cutting down on screen time, getting fresh air, and going for walks. But he also commented that ‘you’ve got to look at the lighter things in life sometimes to feel good.’ He suggested that this could come through ‘time with [his] friends and family’. 

However, the first in line to the throne also said that he was there to ‘listen and learn’ from the young people in attendance. He thanked them for sharing their thoughts and concerns. 

Dr Alex George, who was announced the government’s mental health ambassador in 2021, was also present that day. He said that world mental health day was a chance to stop and ‘look forward with ambition’, echoing the Princess’ sentiment that they were ‘working to build a happier, healthier world’.

This event was hosted in partnership with The Mix, a charity supporting young people by encouraging them to make informed decisions about their wellbeing. BBC Radio One also helped to enable the day. 

The Prince and Princess are ‘working to build a happier, healthier world.’

Both the Prince and Princess are keen advocates for mental health charities. Prince William leads the Heads Together campaign, a collection of charities which support projects in overcoming stigma and encouraging people to talk about their mental health. 

Catherine is also involved in charity work, acting as a patron for Place 2Be, a charity providing counselling services and mental health support training to schools. She helped the charity to launch their first Children’s Mental Health Week in 2015 and have been supporting them since. 

This is the second visit to Birmingham by the royals this year. Their previous visit in April focused on creativity. It was hosted in the Jewellery Quarter. 

Read more News stories here:

Villa Park Selected as Host Stadium for EURO 2028

University of Birmingham to Support Net Zero Hydrogen Production

Former UoB Student Jailed for Building ISIS Drone