News Writer Lucy Blitz reports on the the Birmingham stadium being chosen as one of host stadiums for EURO 2028.

Sports Editor and Writer. Mainly talking about the WSL, the Premier League, and all things cricket.
Images by Clarence E. Hsu

Villa Park has been selected as one of ten host stadiums for EURO 2028, after the UK and Ireland were successful in their bid to stage the tournament. The Birmingham stadium, which previously hosted matches during both the 1966 FIFA World Cup and the 1996 UEFA EUROs, is among five Premier League venues to be chosen for the competition. Others include St. James’ Park, the Etihad Stadium, the Tottenham Hotspur stadium, and Everton’s new home at Bramley-Moore Dock.

Prior to Tuesday’s confirmation, Turkey remained the final competitor for the UK and Ireland but opted to withdraw from the race after choosing to focus on a joint bid with Italy for EURO 2032. All five nations within the UK and Ireland will host matches, with Wembley Stadium set to stage the final, while Anfield and Old Trafford have been omitted from the list.

Aston Villa CEO Christian Purslow said the news was ‘tremendously exciting for Birmingham and the wider West Midlands region’

Speaking to AVFC, Aston Villa CEO Christian Purslow said the news was ‘tremendously exciting for Birmingham and the wider West Midlands region’ and spoke of plans to redevelop the North Stand end of the stadium. After a proposal was approved last season, Villa Park’s capacity will increase from 42,657 to 50,065 following the changes and is set to be completed by the end of 2026.

The expansion, estimated to cost £100m, will also provide supporters with additional facilities on match days, including a fan-zone area for the ‘Villans’. However, refurbishments have been delayed as a result of poor transportation in the surrounding areas, including the Witton train station. Midlands mayor Andy Street, who spoke to Birmingham Mail last month, discussed his aspirations of making the station ‘suitable, modern and spacious’, allowing fans to travel with ease and reducing overcrowding on platforms.

Aston Villa owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens remain committed to the expansion project as they aim to transform Villa Park into a world-class arena for sport and entertainment. Following the success of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, revealed to have generated £453.7m in economic impact across the West Midlands region, Villa Park’s selection will hopefully boost the area’s economy further as a result. 

EURO 2028 is scheduled to take place in June and July, with 24 teams taking part across nine host cities

This will be England’s third involvement as a EURO host nation, after a sole campaign in 1996, as well as participation in a continent-wide operation during 2020. As for the three lions, Gareth Southgate’s side have requested to go through qualification rather than accept an automatic host spot, in an attempt to keep the team competitive throughout the tournament. EURO 2028 is scheduled to take place in June and July, with 24 teams taking part across nine host cities.

Read more news articles here:

Former UoB Student Jailed for Building ISIS Drone

Mobile Phones to be Banned in State School Classrooms

Exeter University to Offer Degree in Magic