Food&Drink Writer Halima Ahad shares a variety of restaurants and cafes that offer Halal food in Birmingham

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3
Images by Halima Ahad

There are many halal restaurants around Birmingham which have boosted tourism and trade across the city. According to Birmingham Mail, there were around 300,000 Muslims in Birmingham in 2018, making up 27% of the local population. Here I will talk you through the establishments which provide mouth-watering halal dishes day in and day out throughout Birmingham. 

Central Birmingham 

Tamatanga 

Indian food has increasingly become popular across the region. An increase of modern Indian restaurants across the UK have been inspired by India’s bustling Mumbai cafes. Inside Tamatanga, you can find that the décor is bright and cheerful, welcoming you in with open arms, with exposed bulb lights adding to the street food café effect. One dish I would definitely recommend ordering at Tamatanga is the ‘Thali’. The ‘Thali’ is an array of curries, two vegetable curries and one daal of the day, with one dish complimented with naan, pilau rice and poppadoms on the side. 

Indico Street Kitchen 

Indico Street Kitchen is located in the Mailbox, which is a dining and retail area popular in Birmingham and just a five minutes walk from New Street station. The décor of Indico is unique and enticing with artistic murals and fascinating designs across the walls. Lighter bites are one to order at Indico Street Kitchen. ‘Gol Gappa Bombs’ are a popular choice on the menu, which are pastry shells filled with chickpeas, mint and tamarind chutney; the flavours explode in your mouth as you take an all-in-one bite. My personal favourite on the menu was the ‘Chilli Chicken’ – succulent chicken breast pieces marinated and stir fried which instantly melt in your mouth. 

Slim Chickens 

Located in the food court area of Grand Central, the lively atmosphere of the Slim Chickens restaurant is sure to make one excited. There are American style booths located in the area which gives a feel of the food you can expect. I ordered the ‘Classic Chicken Sandwich’ off the menu – fried chicken breast topped with lettuce, pickles and mayo, sandwiched in a brioche burger bun; it fulfilled every one of my expectations. The burger was appetising and I felt like going back for more once I had finished. 

Mowgli 

Located in Grand Central, Mowgli opened in October 2017 to add to the numerous Indian food eateries located across central Birmingham. The restaurant serves up trendy Indian street food as well as a variety of curries. The place is inviting, with dimly lit and dark wood furnishings. The street food effect is also seen on the tables, with the ghee tins filled with cutlery and hanging swings you can sit on while you eat your food. The menu ranges from ‘Street Chaat’ to house kitchen curries. 

Cocoa by Ali 

An artisan Café specialising in brunch, desserts and hot drinks. Cocoa by Ali was opened by Great British Bake Off 2013 contestant Ali Imdad and is located in the Mailbox. The overall aesthetic of the café is pleasing to the eye, with flower walls, and definitely an Instagrammable spot. The desserts are very delectable and mouth-watering after every bite. I would definitely recommend the waffle covered in chocolate served with fruits and ice cream.  

There are many halal restaurants around Birmingham which have boosted tourism and trade across the city

Outer Birmingham 

MyLahore 

A vibrant and refreshing Café at the heart of Birmingham, MyLahore is a restaurant offering British-Asian fusion delights guaranteed to be delicious. The atmosphere of the restaurant is lively and is similar to an American diner (serving Pakistani food). Family favourites are on the menu such as ‘Samosa Chaat’, curries and kebabs but the restaurant also offers burgers, stir-frys and old school desserts. My favourite on the menu has to be the ‘Chicken Fillet Steak’ – a tender chicken fillet coated in herbs and flame grilled served with creamy peppercorn sauce, mash and mixed vegetables. 

Tipu Sultan 

Tipu Sultan is a luxury, beautifully presented North Indian restaurant. The décor creates a luxury dining experience with purple velvet sofas and intricate ceiling fixtures. The large capacity means you will not be waiting long to be seated even if the restaurant is full on the day. The menu is extensive offering a wide selection of curries, biryanis, seafood and starters. A popular menu choice is the ‘Green Chicken’ starter – desi murgh tikka marinated with yoghurt and herbs. 

Asha’s 

Asha’s is a classy and buzzy place to enjoy a classic Indian meal. The décor is classy and elegant. The restaurant serves up street food favourites as well as house curries. Even Tom Cruise enjoyed the curry at Asha’s and deemed it his favourite restaurant after he ate two chicken tikka dishes served with plain naan. 

Heavenly Desserts 

A small luxury Café located on Ladypool Road. Heavenly Desserts serves up mouth watering desserts sure to make you come back for more. The décor is stylish and sophisticated. The menu offers a large range of desserts from waffles to brownies.

Fancy some other restaurant recommendations? Check out these reviews:

Foodie Guide to Harborne 

Cafe Crawl Guide 

Restaurant Review: Manahatta