Music Critic Ellie Whitcombe pays tribute to the late Olivia Newton-John, describing her as ‘the source of fond memories for millions’

Written by Ellie Whitcombe
Images by Kyle Head

One of the most iconic women of the 70s and 80s, Olivia Newton-John has been the source of fond memories for millions. Her magnificent success has spanned generations and her activism for Cancer Research, Environmental and Animal Rights is particularly inspiring. The beauty, with a heart of gold “passed peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California [this morning], surrounded by her family and friendsaccording to her husband John Easterling in an Instagram post on 8 August.

A handful of years after moving to Melbourne with her family at age 5, Olivia entered and subsequently won a talent contest on the hit TV series ‘Sing Sing Sing’. An event which undoubtedly foreshadowed her destined stardom and the fantastic career she would soon enjoy. The prize for the aforementioned contest happened to be a boat trip to the UK! A trip which Newton-John seized and upon arriving, threw herself into the Swinging Sixties Music Scene of London. She proceeded to record her first single “Till You Say You’ll Be Mine” at 18 in 1966. Olivia proceeded to form a pop duo with fellow Australian Singer Pat Carroll – named Pat and Olivia – which they pursued until Carroll’s visa expired.

The legacy of Olivia Newton-John will certainly live on; her talent, media, and light-heartedness will continue to inspire generations to come.

Her success began following the release of several albums during the early and mid-70s. During this period, Olivia joined producer Don Kirsher’s sci/fi pop group “Toomorrow”. Olivia, speaking of her time in the group with the New York Times in 1978, took a not-so-fond approach when asked about the “Space Musical” (1970) that the group starred in: “it was terrible, and I was terrible in it”. Well, her career was certainly left untainted, since later, “Let Me Be There” (1973) won Olivia a Grammy award for ‘best country female vocal performance’. Additionally, Olivia came fourth in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with “Honestly I Love You”. My personal favourite release of all, has to be ‘Have You Never Been Mellow’, a charming country ensemble released in 1975 featuring hits ‘Please Mr. Please’, ‘Water Under The Bridge’, and ‘Life Stream’.

Of course, there can’t be an Olivia Newton-John article written without the inclusion of Grease. Starring alongside John Travolta (serious 70s heartthrob), Olivia portrayed Sandra Olsson using her show-stopping vocals, dazzling looks and loveable mannerisms. The songs ‘Summer Nights’, ‘Hopelessly Devoted To You’, and ‘You’re The One That I Want’ specifically showcase Newton-John’s talent. Grease took in $9.3 million on its opening weekend, making it the biggest box office hit of 1978, and the highest grossing musical film ever (that is until, the release of Mamma Mia starring Meryl Streep in 2008).

Speaking to Vanity Fair in 2016, John Travolta said: “She had a brilliant voice, and I didn’t think there could be a more correct person for Sandy in the universe

Olivia portrayed Sandra Olsson using her show-stopping vocals, dazzling looks and loveable mannerisms.

Perhaps her most notable track (outside of those that can be heard on the memorable 1978 ‘Grease’ soundtrack) is ‘Physical’. Released in 1981 and remastered in 2021, this jaunty, energetic tune is commonly used for motivation, positivity, and general dad-dancing. It is certainly featured in my Workout Playlist!

Despite her lengthy battle with breast cancer following her initial diagnosis in 1992, Olivia continued to release music. Her large discography includes multiple albums, singles, covers and Christmas tracks. Additionally, evidence of her lasting influence is demonstrated by the use of her 1983 hit “Twist of Fate” in season 2 of the widely loved TV series Stranger Things (Starring Winona Ryder). Importantly, the incredible political activism campaigns and advocacy spearheaded by Newton-John throughout her later career is without a doubt one of the many reasons she is sure to be loved and missed. Notably, she hosted the Australian nature series Wild Life, raising significant awareness for animal extinction and the importance of animal rights. Additionally, the revenue generated from her collaboration with John Travolta on the “This Christmas” album (released 2012) was pledged to The Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre and The Jett Travolta Foundation.

The legacy of Olivia Newton-John will certainly live on; her talent, media, and light-heartedness will continue to inspire generations to come. She is survived by her daughter Chloe Rose Lattanzi.

Enjoyed This? You might also enjoy:

Eight Songs to Listen to Right Now

Single Review: Bebe Rexha and ITZY-Break my Heart Myself

Summer Songs Playlist